Friends and Fellow Surveyors,
I'm getting ready to teach some classes for a company who has employees in different locations. To do this, some of the coursework that consists of mostly mathematics I will be using the Khan Academy site to teach.
If you remember all the Trig you need, at least pass this along to someone under you (survey crew members, your kids, etc) who could use the info. If you don't know if they are ready for Trigonometry just yet, there isn't an Assessment test any more, so just have them go to the Math main page and pick some place to start. I encourage EACH surveyor to help someone else learn more about their job, and help them to better themselves along the way.
Khan Academy is an online learning site that is Great at teaching mathematics and computer courses. It is totally free, and is self-paced.
How this would work is that you would sign up for My Class (Trigonometry) and would then move through the course at your own pace (hopefully finish it within a month).
The first two modules are all I want you to go through. They are:
Trigonometry with right triangles
Learn the basics of trigonometry: What are sine, cosine, and tangent? How can we use them to solve for unknown sides and angles in right triangles?
- Introduction to the trigonometric ratios
- Solving for a side in a right triangle using the trigonometric ratios
- Solving for an angle in a right triangle using the trigonometric ratios
- Modeling with right triangles
- Trigonometric ratios and similarity
- Sine and cosine of complementary angles
- Trigonometric ratios of special triangles
- Introduction to the Pythagorean trigonometric identity
- The reciprocal trigonometric ratios
Trigonometry with general triangles
Learn how to use trigonometry in order to find missing sides and angles in any triangle.
- The law of sines
- The law of cosines
- Solving general triangles
How to join My Khan Academy Trig class:
1. Sign up at khanacademy.org (or log in if you already have an account).
2. Visit khanacademy.org/coaches (the “Coaches” tab in your profile).
3. In the “Add a coach” field, enter the class code.
Class code: 9YH2GP
4. You’re set. Now click Home to start learning!
Let me know if you have any questions about this course, or what else you'd like to learn, or have your people learn going forward.