Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Not a Surveyor

Hello all, I joined the forum as I am interested in learning to survey land. I have always had an interest in surveying and mapping but have no training in the field. I am experienced in deed research and using old maps to find right of ways and boundaries. I've always been pretty successful at finding corners, even miles back, using tax maps, satellites photos and old plats, but I want to be able to accurately mark my own boundaries in big woods areas and if I'm fortunate enough to meet a surveyor to apprentice under, possibly work towards becoming licensed someday.

I would be grateful for any advice as to what reading I should be doing, videos I should be watching, and what are the very basic skills I need to learn for measuring lines, starting from known points and learning and understanding theodolites.

Thanks! ~KellenĀ 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not a Surveyor
    Thank you all for your replies and advice, it is greatly appreciated! Got a lot of stuff to look through and learn here...seems like a good bunch of people.
    • Hello again Kellen,What Thomas said is true ,it is a life time of learning.and when you think there is only one universe you find another one.Looking for corners, surveying is like a history of the land.It seems you enjoy this,so this is good,Local history is always connect to the history of the first surveyors to the now present time.Before there was a Country,a State, a County or a City,there were the Surveyors who surveyed them.but like i said your math is very important.And that why i suggested the HP 35s. It has to be accepted by NCEES to take your test so you will need one that is.No matter what kind of a more advance calculator you buy,you will still have to have one that is accepted.The HP 35s is the most advanced in this list,and it can do very advance programming.I have use HP calculators since they came out,like other surveyors,engineers and scientist and they have never let me down.First you got to know how to Survey.When you get to the top of that hill,then you can look at the mountain.And you have found a good bunch of people,more help than you know.

Here are you some links to NCEES

http://ncees.org

http://ncees.org/exams/calculator-policy/

• Land Surveyor

Re surveying 101:

You should become familiar with the Land surveying statutes in your state. Ā You should become familiar with real property laws for your state and learn about title insurance. Ā It is important to remember that a boundary is a function of title, not measurement. Ā The boundary is wher the rights of one owner ends the rights of the adjoining owner begins. Ā This is a function of what is known as affirmative defenses in real property law. Ā It is also know as unwritten property rights. Ā You should also be familiar with the basic principles of contracts.

I would also study the history of survey measurement. Ā The angle and linear measurement has greatly evolved since the 1970s'. Ā Several books to consider are "Writing Legal Descriptions" by Gurdon Wattles and the Curtis Brown books. "Evidence and Procedures for Boundary Location" and "Boundary Control and Legal Principles.

Welcome to the profession and good luck. Ā Study hard.

Jim Dorsey

• Land Surveyor
      Thomas, your characterization of Land Surveying is inaccurate in my opinion. Although challenging at times I wouldn't agree it is the most difficult. It just takes some passion and an understanding that to be a knowledgable land surveyor you need both book knowledge and hands on practical knowledge and experience.

Kellen, read some of the popular surveying texts (such as Curt Brown's books and Wattles) and find a good mentor and you will most likely do just fine.

Land Surveying is not a corrupt business. There is most likely corrupt individuals who calls themselves land surveyors, but the profession is not corrupt.

We are apart of a profession that is well rounded in many interesting aspects...from evidence gathering, to historical research, protecting the public and being called on as an expert witness for the courts, and that does not point to corruption, but to professionalism.

We have a unique profession, and I am proud to call myself a Land Surveyor.
    • Re Surveying 101

Karen. if you are truly want to be a land surveyor you are in for the greatest and most difficult profession anyone can attempt to learn and do. It requires a lifetime of learning. Once you learn it all you are to old and you die.Land Surveying is a corrupt business. Working in it requires "GRIT" and knowledge. Go to college and earn a degree in "Land Surveying" Ā NOT what civil engineers call surveying. their know is only about topo and stakeout. You might consider my book " How to Survey Land by Metes and Bounds" as a primer to your long years of study. If you have any questions; contact me at Ā  [email protected] . Ā 908-781-0186 I am glad to help. Ā 

• Hello Kellen,You are going in the right direction,this site has a library ,videos .First thing is your math,buy a calculator The HP 35s would be my choice, and learn RPN input,next RPN logic notation program language. The 35s only cost 60 bucks, read my Discussion ,on going the little Big calculator that calculated i think i can. you can also download the Emulator free for it.One good book now is Paul R Wolf's, as always his Elementary Surveying Editions. There are many of them this one is the 13th Edition.But your math comes first,and there are no computers in a test room,and only certain calculators you can use. Download this book. I have many of his books.

billy

http://www.academia.edu/4487062/Elementary_Surveying_An_Introductio...

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives