Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Student Surveyor

Base with Trimble 5700/5800

Probably a dumb question - but I'm using an old dinosaur GPS setup for some of my work here: original Zephyr antenna, 5700 receiver, Trimark III for the base and a 5800 rover.

Question is:  If I swapped out my base setup with something that would pickup other GNSS systems (GLONASS, Galileo, etc) like an R8 model 3 or even a Zephyr Model 2 antenna, would I be able to receive info from those other systems even though I'm still using the 5800 rover?

TIA,

Dave

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Student Surveyor

Thanks, all, for the solid answers to this.

• Quick answer.... no...            long answer,yes   you still get the proper corrections for the base as it handles the GPS signals, you will not benefit from the additional GLONASS of Galileo signals as your rover can't see them.  You can have multiple rovers running off the one base station, so in a high production environment it could be helpful I guess.

• Not a Surveyor

If you have a R8 model 3 on the base it will broadcast the GNSS to your rover. Your rover will also need to have GNSS capable another R8 model 3. I use the same setup and it works great. Just needed to set the base setting to use the R8 and check the box for GNSS. Same with the rover and your good to go. Our base was a 5800 and 5700 just like you talked about.

• Land Surveyor

Yes, our company has used the same setup before. We have a spare 5700 receiver and a Zephyr antenna and have used them when we've sent out our equipment for repair. The main thing is to have all of the settings exactly the same in the base setup as in the rover setup. Base index, frequency, etc...

• Retired Surveyor
    Would you be able to receive GNSS as well as GPS? Yes. Would it help you at all, no. If one receiver is picking up 3000 seats and the other is only picking up 7, it only uses the 7 that are in common. If you want GNSS, upgrade one, and be aware trimble does not play nice with other third party data collectors, and use a virtual network
    • Student Surveyor

I think that reply answers my question.  Thank you.

If I'm understanding you, I could up grade the base and collect other GNSS if I were hooked up to a VRS?  Otherwise, no?

• Retired Surveyor

Not upgrade your base if you are on a vrs just the rover.  A virtual network acts as the base, so you do not need to set one on site.  So you use your GNSS enabled receiver as a rover and it collects with Glonass and even better BeiDou which, in HI you should see.  Does trimble have coverage in HI?

• Not a Surveyor

A stand alone base setup like you are talking about both base and rover need to be able to pick up GNSS.

You also could also use the same GNSS rover on a VRS network. Only if the VRS moint point is GNSS capable will you benefit.

• Land Surveyor

I joined a crew not too long ago that was upgrading to the R8's but retained a 5800 from the old settup to use as a rover if needed.  There were a few settings to change in the survey styles of the Trimble TSC3 data collector. It finally worked after the correct updates were installed and we had tech support on speed dial.  I'm new to speaking about this equipment but thats what i took from the situation.

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives