Land Surveyor Community Forum

Hello friends ,I recently was put on a job that is using a topcon ds105 ac robotic total station and I am fairly new in using a robotic total station. The issue that I am having with this total station is that it doesn't have the traditional lock/ gear mechanism like the older topcons (gts models). All I am trying to do is set up on a point 0 set another point and turn 180 over a long distance to add a control point using a plastic target card . My problem is over a long distance it is near impossible to old the angle at 180 or zero with out being able to lock the total station. Does any one know if it possible to lock this particle total stations motor to hold an angle ? This station is almost identical to the sokkia sx models if anyone has any experience in those as well.Thanks for the help

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Surveying Community & Forums to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Surveying Community & Forums

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1201320400?profile=original?width=721This is the closest thing I can find in the manual. The easiest way in those situations is to use as a manual total station. What collector and software are you using? I do not believe you can lock the angle like older total stations due to it being motorized (you would risk damaging the motors with a traditional H or V lock).

• We don't use the DS, however, we us 9003, QS, PS, and GT Topcon robots and either Panasonic ToughPad FZ-G1 or FC-5000 collectors, all running Magnet.

One option, for a 2 man crew, is to go to your equipment config in Magnet, highlight your existing DS robotic config and hit Add. Then change the name to what you want and edit it to be a Bluetooth TS. This will essentially make the DS a conventional and run by the 5000 by bluetooth. You will need to leave the collector with gun and go old school, but it will negate any targeting/tracking features and allow you to turn an angle that will stay (assuming you have a solid setup), with minor tweaking by the iman.

Additionally, if you or anyone else are running the FC-5000 with PS or GT robots, you can ditch the RC units and go long range bluetooth full robotic. I have gotten over 900' with no RC on a 1-man crew. Nice option if you don't like a $3000-5000 piece of equipment on your pole. The 9003 and QS only get around 60' with this option. I have never tested on a DS, but considering it came out around the time of the PS, you may get a solid result. Even if you can pull 250', it makes it nice in some situations...could be worth a field test...I can help with the config. If you can't tell, I do not like the RC units. If you do decide to test it, let me know the result so I have a reference for the DS please.

G
    • Gary thanks for the response . We are using a topcon rc-5000 data collector with magnet field software
This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

More from Land Surveyor Forum

Land Surveyor Community Forum

Most land surveying related topics are evergreen - meaning the topics of discussion are many times timeless.  If you have a question regarding Land Surveying in general, this is the place to ask your questions.    

Add Discussion

Forums for  Hubs for Land SurveyorsHowever, if you have a questions regarding a specific type of Land Surveying Equipment, Surveying Software, Land Surveying History or other topics related to land surveying, you will find that our Community Hubs all have dedicated forums.   Asking your questions inside these Hub Forums will ensure that you are asking a targeted audience of land surveyors who are following those topics.

Forums for Location Based Chapter Hubs for Land SurveyorsLikewise, you will find that all of our Location Based Chapter Hubs have dedicated forums for discussing land surveying topics related to specific locations around the world.  Asking your question inside the appropriate place inside the community will most likely get you the most feedback.   Enjoy!  We look forward to helping you solve your problem or expand your knowledge of land surveying.

Below are the categories for our general forum which spans entire global community.

Community Apps Updates