Hello friends ,

I recently was put on a job that is using a topcon ds105 ac robotic total station and I am fairly new in using a robotic total station. The issue that I am having with this total station is that it doesn't have the traditional lock/ gear mechanism like the older topcons (gts models). All I am trying to do is set up on a point 0 set another point and turn 180 over a long distance to add a control point using a plastic target card . My problem is over a long distance it is near impossible to old the angle at 180 or zero with out being able to lock the total station. Does any one know if it possible to lock this particle total stations motor to hold an angle ? This station is almost identical to the sokkia sx models if anyone has any experience in those as well.
Thanks for the help

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 316

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

This is the closest thing I can find in the manual. The easiest way in those situations is to use as a manual total station. What collector and software are you using? I do not believe you can lock the angle like older total stations due to it being motorized (you would risk damaging the motors with a traditional H or V lock).

Gary thanks for the response . We are using a topcon rc-5000 data collector with magnet field software
We don't use the DS, however, we us 9003, QS, PS, and GT Topcon robots and either Panasonic ToughPad FZ-G1 or FC-5000 collectors, all running Magnet.

One option, for a 2 man crew, is to go to your equipment config in Magnet, highlight your existing DS robotic config and hit Add. Then change the name to what you want and edit it to be a Bluetooth TS. This will essentially make the DS a conventional and run by the 5000 by bluetooth. You will need to leave the collector with gun and go old school, but it will negate any targeting/tracking features and allow you to turn an angle that will stay (assuming you have a solid setup), with minor tweaking by the iman.

Additionally, if you or anyone else are running the FC-5000 with PS or GT robots, you can ditch the RC units and go long range bluetooth full robotic. I have gotten over 900' with no RC on a 1-man crew. Nice option if you don't like a $3000-5000 piece of equipment on your pole. The 9003 and QS only get around 60' with this option. I have never tested on a DS, but considering it came out around the time of the PS, you may get a solid result. Even if you can pull 250', it makes it nice in some situations...could be worth a field test...I can help with the config. If you can't tell, I do not like the RC units. If you do decide to test it, let me know the result so I have a reference for the DS please.

G

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Land Surveyors Forum

Survey Abstract Coordinates

Started by John J Rodriquez in Introduce Yourself to the Community. Last reply by Kevin D. Allen 22 hours ago. 13 Replies

Control surveying problem

Started by shree ram bhandari in Land Surveying Jobs. Last reply by Billy Brooks 10 hours ago. 11 Replies

Magnetic North Update

Started by Billy Brooks in Surveying Best Practices. Last reply by Billy Brooks Feb 6. 2 Replies

AERIAL STEREOSCOPY

Started by Lalith Senanayake in Surveying Related Links. Last reply by shree ram bhandari on Tuesday. 4 Replies

Job Quotation

Started by Nitesh Shrestha in Land Surveying Jobs. Last reply by Nitesh Shrestha Jan 21. 3 Replies

Survey under tree canopy

Started by Massimo in Surveying Best Practices. Last reply by Maurice Heter 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Mean Sea Level (MSL)

Started by Chuck Turlington in Geospatial Industry Types. Last reply by Kim Noblitt Jan 17. 6 Replies

Surface pro

Started by Malik in Surveying Field Tips and Tricks. Last reply by Kevin D. Allen Jan 7. 5 Replies

ROOF PEAK SURVEY

Started by Mthulisi Mloyi in Professional Advice for New Surveyors. Last reply by ⚡Survenator⌁ Jan 4. 2 Replies

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SKIP FARROW (1953-2015)

Help With Survey Equipment

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Video Categories

Surveying Photo Categories

United States Hub Forums

International Surveyor Hub Forums

Resources for Company Owners

Land Surveyor Social Media

Surveyor Resources Collections

Getting Started & Newsletter

Featured Land Surveyor Hubs

Student Surveyors