Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor
Hello friends ,I recently was put on a job that is using a topcon ds105 ac robotic total station and I am fairly new in using a robotic total station. The issue that I am having with this total station is that it doesn't have the traditional lock/ gear mechanism like the older topcons (gts models). All I am trying to do is set up on a point 0 set another point and turn 180 over a long distance to add a control point using a plastic target card . My problem is over a long distance it is near impossible to old the angle at 180 or zero with out being able to lock the total station. Does any one know if it possible to lock this particle total stations motor to hold an angle ? This station is almost identical to the sokkia sx models if anyone has any experience in those as well.Thanks for the help

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

1201320400?profile=original?width=721This is the closest thing I can find in the manual. The easiest way in those situations is to use as a manual total station. What collector and software are you using? I do not believe you can lock the angle like older total stations due to it being motorized (you would risk damaging the motors with a traditional H or V lock).

• Land Surveyor
      We don't use the DS, however, we us 9003, QS, PS, and GT Topcon robots and either Panasonic ToughPad FZ-G1 or FC-5000 collectors, all running Magnet.

One option, for a 2 man crew, is to go to your equipment config in Magnet, highlight your existing DS robotic config and hit Add. Then change the name to what you want and edit it to be a Bluetooth TS. This will essentially make the DS a conventional and run by the 5000 by bluetooth. You will need to leave the collector with gun and go old school, but it will negate any targeting/tracking features and allow you to turn an angle that will stay (assuming you have a solid setup), with minor tweaking by the iman.

Additionally, if you or anyone else are running the FC-5000 with PS or GT robots, you can ditch the RC units and go long range bluetooth full robotic. I have gotten over 900' with no RC on a 1-man crew. Nice option if you don't like a $3000-5000 piece of equipment on your pole. The 9003 and QS only get around 60' with this option. I have never tested on a DS, but considering it came out around the time of the PS, you may get a solid result. Even if you can pull 250', it makes it nice in some situations...could be worth a field test...I can help with the config. If you can't tell, I do not like the RC units. If you do decide to test it, let me know the result so I have a reference for the DS please.

G
    • Land Surveyor
      Gary thanks for the response . We are using a topcon rc-5000 data collector with magnet field software
This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives