It’s fortunate that the world is realizing that common problems can’t be solved unless intervention is made and intervention is impossible without visualization, and thus without maps. Mapping is a central function of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), which provides a visual interpretation of data. This defines the power of “where”.
To give you a brief idea, here’s what GIS enables:
- Customer Service: Higher customer engagement and communication.
- Data Management: Collection, organization, and integration of data.
- Asset Management: Maintenance and management of infrastructure data.
- Field Mobility: Collection and assessment of data from the field.
- Operational Awareness: Data integration for operational readiness.
- Planning and Analysis: Organization of data into actionable information.
Map usage is becoming democratized with the creation and usage is not limited to the privileged few. As more and more people are realizing the importance of maps, in making the world a better place, more