Follow Student Surveyors Hub

Student Land Surveyors UNITE!  This hub is for surveying in schools and student surveyor support on Land Surveyors United. Join this group to share resources and tips for students of land surveying.  In this Hub for Young Surveyors you can ask questions to both your fellow student surveyors as well as Educators inside the Land Surveyors United Community.  Start a Discussion and Introduce yourself

Tell us what you are learning and keep an on-going log of everything you learned!

Things You Can Do in Student Surveyors Hub:

  • Share and Compare Class Notes
  • Record and Stream Classroom Sessions
  • Discuss What Other Students are Learning around the world
  • Share Photos from Surveying Class
  • Collaborate on Projects
  • The Sky is the Limit!

Professors will soon have the ability to host and administer their entire classroom inside a hub of their own.  Stay tuned!


481 Student Surveyors
👉️Join this Hub

How do you call this in English?

Unfortunately, most normal dictionaries are not very useful for the translation of surveying related technical terms. So for some things I don't know the English word.

The first things which come into my mind are these two tools:

This is the first one:

It is made of two pentagon prisms and it is used to determine right angles. Usually it is used together with a plumb bob.

It was once a very important tool when the so called "orthogonal method" was in use for German cadastral surveys: A baseline was defined by two control points (often established by a traverse), and for every point the distance along this line and the offset from this line was measured (with a chain or later with a steel tape) and recorded. The advantage was, that a theodolite was necessary only for the traverses; the later surveys could be done with simple tools as long as the control points where still in place.

Nowadays (after EDM and total stations came into use) the "polar method" using a total station came into use, but this tool is still useful sometimes, for example for an indirect measurement to a point not visible directly from the total station.

The second tool I don't know the English name for is this:

It is used to hold i.e. a prim pole or a leveling rod vertically. (You could use a plumb bob, but this way it's easier.)

It would be nice if someone here could help me.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Email me when people reply –


  • Survey Legend

    i believe the first one would be called a double penta prism

    and the second would be a Staff Level

This reply was deleted.

Hey there!
It looks like you are enjoying the community content.

That's nice! Please don't forget to mention us if you use what you just copied on your website. Help strenthen the community by linking back to us!

Thank you very much! Have a nice day! :)

Ok. Don't bother me again, for this session.