Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Follow Sri Lanka Surveyors

Sri Lanka Surveyors is a place for Land Surveyors in Sri Lanka to collaborate on current events, historical events, and ideas related to shaping the future of Sri Lanka from the perspective of a Land Surveyor or related profession.

Sri Lanka
35 Sri Lanka Land Surveyors
👉️Join this Hub

Marvels in constructions about 1000years ago

Shall we unearth the methods adopted for constructions those days,though we didn't have even a tape or angular measures,just explore the famous wonder SIGIRIYA rock garden in srilanka,or ancient irrigation canals an dams ???

Please google search for SIGIRIYA.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I suggest that these construction alignment done by observing stars
    • Land Surveyor

i prefer that method as well Lalith... let's try it.  Take a project you're working on and show us how you would do it differently! 

• I still remember doing sun azimuth observations to close my traverse where
      No controls to close,about 30 years back,then we had star almanac and seven figure log tables ,
      That itself show some light about assumptions of the methods they used.
      I don't think i will be able to show a project to you all within my lifetime,
      Remember! we can track satellites,but not visible,stars always visible at least at night except the Sun which is available during day time.

Thank you for your comment,

Lalith
  • Land Surveyor

Worthwhile it is to ponder again and again the methods used by our ancestors, in their apparent infinite wisdom, to design, construct, and incorporate into their society some of the most beautiful monuments of ages; a persistent reminder laid upon the ground by human beings in order to become re-discovered, and to create a legacy.  

Not a single person who was ever involved in the construction of "permanent" reminder" of this sort has ever been quoted "I did this because I needed shelter, food, water, or fire for the next few thousand years".  Was it designed to provide for an eternity of descendants?  I don't think so.

Why did they do it?  Was it necessary?  Was not living in harmony with nature good enough?  Was "permanently" altering the face of the Earth a means of achieving "god-like" egos?  Was this the beginning or the end of the religious thought of immortality?  I firmly believe that there is no original thought in the universe; only inherited ideas and epiphanies.

And so it stands that I have more questions than answers.  Being a land surveyor who is now involved in the planning, positioning, and monitoring of man-made structures, I ask myself, "am I doing a greater service to society in providing for a more immediately effective, yet more ephemeral infrastructure, as is the case in modern construction, or am I contributing to the fall and failure of said infrastructure for my descendants of only a hundred or a few hundred years".

Your professional opinions may tend to add clarity to my inquiries.

-Scott  

• of course .. 

This reply was deleted.