Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor

VERTICALITY CHECK

Hello all,

Please, can someone give me a  clue on how to carry out verticality check on a tank farm using a total station and also how to analyze the data to be able to present it to a client. 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Survey Legend

• Land Surveyor

Hi.Just set up total station in front of tank about equal distance to the height of tank.See through objective glass the top edge of tank structure and lower the telescope to the foot,if line of sight goes away from structure measure putting a steel foot or tape and find the deviation from plumb.If line of sight goes towards the structure then sight the edge at the bottom and take it to the top and move the line to the edge at top then bring line of sight again downward and measure.This will show the difference from plumb.Thanks

• Land Surveyor

The basic thing to do would be to Set control stations around the Tank then use reflector less EDM mode to measure the RL at the bottom of the tank and directly on the same horizontal angel measure one at the top of the tank. You don't need a software but just the difference in the heights should give you the verticality that you need.

Hope this helps. 

• Land Surveyor

thanks for your reply

• Land Surveyor

thanks for your reply

• If you want to show the data to your client, would be better to use some SW, for example RHINOCEROS (I used it on the oil platform for analyze the same kind of data), CATIA, SOLID WORK and others. With those SW you may analyze the 3D data and prepare a report. About the survey with a total station I agree with Tom Ameson (you can also measure a lot of vertical sections that you highlighted before on the tank's surface ) and analyze the data with the SW listed above. You can verify the verticality and also the squareness.

• Seeking Employment

That is a tough question. You could use a laser scanner instead to scan the tank and check the vertically. The total station would be used to set the control points for the scanner and the spheres. I hope this helps.

• You can make 4points around the tank and take readings with reflector less and you make the points around tank is your station and then check on autocad 3d or 2nd and check how many difference
    • Land Surveyor

thanks for your contribution....please i will like to get something clear....are you suggesting i coordinate many points on the tank and plot the coordinates in autocad?

• Land Surveyor

The simplest reference for verticality is also the easiest to convey to a client - a plumb bob (in windless conditions).

Include the plumb bob in your scan and you have the perfect reference for comparison.

All other "control" methods have at least 2 dependencies vs. this direct one.

If too windy to protect, then a plumbed range pole. Note:  most range pole bubbles have not been checked in ages. Check and adjust the bubble before trusting it.

JAC

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives