Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Temperatures and Total Stations

good evening ,

i would like know that how Ā the temperature can have anĀ effect on Ā a total station.

i am working in west africa, here in temperature will change every 5 days.

that's why i am wondering how i can set my temperature settings in leicaĀ total station.

how temperature effect all measurements.

can i work with default leica settings, or should I change them?

plz reply me.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Seeking Employment
    Hello surveyor.. Sarfraz Ahmed is very correct. You need to do some adjustment computation to adjust temperature error in each measurement if temperature varies rapidly or set the temperature constant in the instrument if the temperature varies slightly within a mean temeparature..
    • Seeking Employment
      if temperature outside was 42 degrees Ā & you need to layout a distance of 50 & you didn't consider the temperature then the error can be calculated by following formula
      0.042*1000m*50=1.5mm
      (diff)/constant*dis=Ans
      • Not a Surveyor

i come up with 1.2 what am i doing wrong?

Ā 

• Morning, on the same subject, can someone please explain the effects of pressure on a total station? Paul

• Government Professional

Unless you are working in an ultra precise network, you can use always the default settings in your TS.

I would pay more attention to the TS centering and prism level more than pressure and temperature.

• thanks a lot for all

• dear sarfraz ahmed sir,

please explain the formula once again. i did not under stand.

please tell me that how i can check versatility of structure with total station.

• by default temperature in leica is 12 degreeĀ Celsius.

the influence is 1 degreeĀ Celsius = 1ppm (ppm means parts per million)

1ppm=1mm per kilometerĀ 

if you didn't consider the out side temperature it may hurt your measurements...

e.g: if temperature outside was 42 degrees Ā & you need to layout a distance of 50 & you didn't consider the temperature then the error can be calculated by following formula

0.042*1000m*50=1.5mm

(diff)/constant*dis=Ans

HOPE THIS WILL HELP

• GEO Ambassador

In new total stations and levels, the compensator has most often been adjustedĀ at room temperature, soĀ that the line of sight is horizontal even if the instrument is tilted slightly. ThisĀ situation changes if theĀ temperature fluctuates by
    more than ten or fifteenĀ degrees, after a long journey, or if the instrument isĀ subjected to strong vibration. It is then advisable toĀ inspect the line of sight,Ā particularly if more thanĀ one target distance isĀ being used.

Ā 

The instrument errorsĀ change with temperature,Ā as a result of vibration, andĀ after long periods ofĀ transport. If you want toĀ measure in just one face,Ā then immediately beforeĀ the measurements youĀ must determine theĀ instrument errors and storeĀ them.

perhaps some other members might like to elaborate on this..

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives