Hoping someone might be able to help us out here. We use older Schonstedt metal locators that have the power/volume knob as a single unit. Apparently, they no longer make replacements switches for this component. Is there anywhere that we can go to get a replacement switch to work for this? Even with slight alteration required to the unit, still should be a big savings to replace the switch over purchasing new one. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 359

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

Remove the switch (or have a buddy confident with electronics do it). Look for identifying part numbers on it. Go to a local electronics supply house and ask if they can help. A personal visit will, in the right store, gain the interest of the counter agent and you will get first class advice. If not try another.

At one point they would remanufacture the entire unit for a couple hundred bucks. Have you checked 3rd. party repair companies? It is just a rheostat switch. If you can get the specs on it, you should be able to find one that will work.

You have a couple of good responses so far. Its a simple on/off POT switch and I am sure they still make it. The Schonstedt facility is just up the road from me (10 miles) and I have our old units rebuilt there. Mouser electronics is sure to have it. Where is a Radio Shack when you need one!

I am sure that what matters is the size of the knob's shaft (or whatever the real word is), which is listed on each item's individual description page.


One of the knob said this on its individual description page, with a link to the older part:

For older GA models, other than the GA-52Cx and GA-72Cd (models which operate on 9V batteries) you will need to order K20013.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the advice, gents. Unfortunately, Schonstedt doesn't have parts for this anymore. Just called them. Hoping Mouser might be able to help me. Waiting on a response from them.

Hi Robert,

You have gotten some good reply's,but here in Dallas Tx, contact these folks they may can help you.

Atlas Electronics,Inc

2737 Irving Blvd Dallas TX,75207

question? Call Now 214-631-2901, or www SurveyRepairs.com

6 month warranty,100% Satisfaction,  flat rate $175 on all locators also repairs for data collectors.

if this does not help you maybe someone else.


Schonstedt is a really good company and you can probably give them your old unit and purchase a new one for a fraction of the first time cost. 


I sent my old Schonstedt to the factory and had it rebuilt for $375.

New electronics, new speaker, fresh paint, new decal and all.

I would think they would retrofit a new switch on their R&D time.



Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides


Help With Survey Equipment

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Video Categories

Surveying Photo Categories

United States Hub Forums

International Surveyor Hub Forums

Resources for Company Owners

Land Surveyor Social Media

Surveyor Resources Collections

Getting Started & Newsletter

Surveyor Birthdays

Surveyor Birthdays Tomorrow

© 2018   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service