Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Land Surveyor

I would like to start that discussion about the Open Source software RTK-LIB that allows anyone to post-process GNSS observations (RINEX) for free and also to perform RTK (RTCM).

It seems UAV hobbyists and robots makers are more familiar than surveyors with the RTK-LIB. That library has been developed by Mr TAKAZU from Japan.Ā 

RTKLIB is an open source program package for standard and precise positioning with GNSS (global navigation satellite system). RTKLIB consists of a portable program library and several APs (application programs) utilizing the library.

I would very much appreciate your feedbacks on that topic and on what GNSS post-processing software you are working with ? It seems post-processing a bitĀ of fashion nowadays but RTK-LIB can also carry on your observations in RTK mode and even using PPP.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Tim Durham, kindly share the link to the YouTube video if it's been created. I think it will help me greatly in my workflow.

• Land Surveyor

I am just admiring you for keeping going through all the obstacles to finally succeed ! Yes you are right EZ software is very good and powerful and will keep you out the burden of fine tuning parameters etc, ... Just when you have time, step back on RTK-LIB and I am sure you will appreciate. Post-processing GNSS for UAV operations make sense for me because you will have anyway to download your images after the flight. So no need to geolocate your images with RTK. Now the survey of GCP's can be reduced and even not considered when you fly RTK. If you flying in small, medium area, a GNSS local base station will be nicely the job. But honestly RTK will become "mandatory" the day we will be able to also process the images in real time. Thanks for your reply !

• Land Surveyor
    The big boys ā€“ Trimble, Leica, Topcon ā€“ have had these capabilities for a couple decades. Pretty much run-of-the-mill GNSS surveying methodology and technique.
    • Land Surveyor

Hi Kevin, absolutely right and portion of RTK codes have been taken from DELFT source code for the Lambda method. I still remember the first "commercial" post-processing software from Trimble (TRIM640 ?) also inspired by OHIA state University. Leica also at that time used the Bernese source code. Now what I find personally so exciting is that RTK-LIB is open source and so flexible by providing much information than any other else. Last not least, we had a problem with LGO licensing in Kuwait and we faced several days without any possibilities to work with. Then we switched to RTK-LIB and keep going. When LGO was back on track ... we compared results and found that not only all the results were closed to sub-mm but for one point there was a 20 cm gap. How was right or wrong ? We delegated a surveying team to check with a total station and found RTK-LIB was right. So even if you are at ease with existing post-processing softwares ... it's worth to double check your results with an independent one ... and for free !

• Land Surveyor
    Sounds like an interesting discussion to come. That's why I'm commenting. We use a dial in to get our initial fix then use a base with transformation to ostn15 but that's just the UK
This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives