Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor

I am a Field/Project Engineer working for a ground improvement contractor around the United States. On some of our jobs we do our own survey work (primarily with a GPS setup but I have used a total station). I took one class in college that taught survey techniques/methods and have learned a lot on the job from professional surveyors with other companies, but I think that I need some more education to really apply some new ways of thinking as my company expands into surveying.

I'm not necessarily looking to take extensive classes to become a professional surveyor, but rather a week long seminar that can help increase my understanding of surveying techniques from a beginner to moderate level. Something that is a little heavier on the side of GPS surveying would be nice as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions on organizations in the U.S. that offer this type of class/training?

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

Look for continuing education home study courses on the subject matter you are looking for.

• Land Surveyor

TIm, I send you a connection request and InMail on LinkedIn. I couldn't PM you on here because we're not connected her yet. Anyway, I'd love to talk to you about doing some training for your company. So, email me your contact info to [email protected] and I'll send you some info.

Keith

• Land Surveyor

All, if anybody has experience in teaching a "short course" or is interested in giving it a shot, please direct message me with your resume or CV and I can bring it to my supervisor for discussion. As Charlie said, I won't be a Professional Surveyor in a weeks time but I'd just like to learn enough to work underneath a professional and have intelligent conversations on the matter.

Thanks,

Tim

• Land Surveyor

I can will help you, but my location in Belarus!))If you  gonna to Belarus, welcome!In Belarus it is simple and free!If you real want to know how work surveyor! When I was studies  in recent years I find people, (engineer surveyor), and some times help him, and teach!! In my country general experience, documents that second) 

• Do you know where I can take a weekend class to be an engineer? I'm just pulling your leg but maybe you get my drift. You might learn the basics of being a layout man in a few days but not to be a professional land surveyor. The State of S.C. once said in it's infinite wisdom, surveying is not engineering & engineering is not surveying. It has also been said that the professional aspect of land surveying is applying boundary law to the art of retracement, or words to that effect. That is still pretty much a true statement but things are changing at an exponential rate. We don't often pull a chain these days. I still have plumb bobs but I can't remember when I last used one. I have been taking continuing education courses on GPS & Geodetic Surveying since the 80's & have read a number of books, but I haven't even scratched the surface. Surveying today encompasses subject matter that is every bit as complicated & as technical as any engineering discipline. I have wondered if Surveying was headed towards being defined as an engineering discipline. Perhaps it would be better aligned with one of the mapping sciences like geodetic science but I believe boundary law will be at the heart of boundary retracement indefinitely.

• Land Surveyor

Completely understand where you're coming from Charlie. I am not attempting to become a professional surveyor in a week's time, but rather get some good information under my belt (and the belts of my coworkers) to properly/intelligently contribute to a conversation with a professional surveyor. Just somewhere to start so that I can have a good base.

• Land Surveyor

Be prepared to hired a qualified consultant to spend a week with you (share the costs by adding students?).

A good professional instructor will not be cheap but quality instruction cannot be over-valued.

I find that it is also very rewarding to be able to share professional instruction. It is how the best professionals pass on a profession to protégés. Once we become competent, we owe our profession to share its secrets with up-and-coming peers.

JAC

• Land Surveyor

This is great Mr. Cavell. I'll have to look into this for sure!

• Land Surveyor

If your company is planning on expanding into surveying, as you stated. Then I recommend that you hire a qualified surveyor.

• Land Surveyor

Agreed. We have some qualified people in the company already; however, they are already spread thin doing other things. Thanks for the reply!

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives