Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor
Hi, every body I am using Garmin handy GPS with low accuracy to establish BMs but there is needed high accuracy for this survey, but i am not able for now to have a high accuracy GPS due to time shortage, and there is plane to buy a high accuracy GPS after some days later (that time we will do some of our survey on the site), so is there a way to change my topographic surveyed coordinates with new measured coordinates?Regards.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor
    Thanks friends for your suggestions but...
    my question is that is there a way if you survey a land site with incorrect (ex. x100,y200,z300) coordinates and then observe only BMs with high accuracy coordinate and change all surveyed data with new observed BMs coordinates?
    • Land Surveyor

of course, you can do it, but  for example if you use a Helmert transformation the residuals will be out away of scale 

• Land Surveyor

Or you can observe your points in angle and distance and when you have the accurate coordinates just calculate all your data from angle and distances. Here in Nepal we always do the survey in angle and distance because why wait for finalizing the traverse  or GPS calculation.

• Vendor
    If your question is about coordinate transformation between the Garmin-observed coordinate set and the survey-grade set by applying some sort of shift and/or rotation, the answer is not possible. The noise level (inaccuracy) of the Garmin-observed set will overshadow any possible correlation between the two coordinate sets. The low-accuracy set will help you plan for your BM establishing session.
    If your question, on the other hand, is about exploring possible correlation of some sort between the two sets of coordinates, you might be able to do some stochastic modeling which is far beyond this discussion forum! This is similar to transforming between NAD27 and NAD83, where a simple shift and rotation is not possible because of the lack of accuracy with the NAD27 datum definition itself.
    Hope this helps.
  • Student Surveyor

you will have to redo the survey since if you use the ones you took with the garmins the coordinates will still be inaccurate as per the required 

• Land Surveyor

Like most replied here I wouldn't even attempt to collect any info with the low grade GPS. The issue being is your low accuracy device will not have relative info within itself. So the issue being is when you localize into your BM's with the survey grade GPS you will find that none of your BM's will check. 

• Nav and Mapping grade GPS is out of the question. It’s an order of accuracy issue. You can’t maintain the required tolerance for the site with that equipment. Do what you may, but you’ll be doing the work over again with Survey grade equipment.
  • Land Surveyor

Almost 5 meters in position and 10 meters in height. Not good for changes that you are asking. Rent a profesional equipment from the very beginning

• Land Surveyor
    If any one knows how to change it, it would be great if he/she fully describe the method(s), I know there is a way in liscad software but in closed triangulation and i am not sure for an open one.
  • Land Surveyor
    I mean coordinates as well as elevation(X,Y,Z)
This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives