The Illinois/Indiana State Line Boundary Marker is the oldest monument it the City of Chicago. In 1988 the marker was restored and relocated to a new position outside the State Line Generating Plant. The plant closed in 2012 and was demolished, only its Art Deco entrance remains. Since that time the boundary marker has had its bronze plaques removed which use to read "State line retraced by act of Congress 1833," "boundary of Illinois," "boundary of Indiana," "This monument is 159.359 miles due north from the Wabash River and 191.09 feet north from its original site".
This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network