Africa Asia North America Europe South America Middle East Oceania +Add a Story

Survey Earth in a Day 7

Remeasuring the entire planet in a single day as a community of Land Surveyors

Visit Post

How to use the new Surveying Jobs Board

Find and Post Available Surveying Jobs

Learn about Jobs Board

Land Surveyor Submitted Photos

See through the eyes of other surveyors, worldwide.

Featured Photos

Surveying Videos

Learn Something New Everyday

Surveying Tutorials

If you are a land surveyor who would like to contribute to the community's collective knowledge, here is where you get started.

Sign me up!

Hi,

I am not a surveyor but use a Promark 3 to check out soil conservation structures that I build. Now I have a farmer who wants to put in a 1020' by 62' cattle building. Can I use the stake out feature in Fast Survey to find the corners?

Thanks,

Dan

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 1297

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

Replies to This Discussion

Mr Dan ,

it as a very used command in staking out . if you have a starting point (ex: the first building corner) then you can survey a second point in the direction , so you can inverse  starting point to surveyed point to get the azimuth between those 2 points .. with that information you just go to point in direction occupacy is starting point , and direction is the calculated azimuth then just fill in the distance which is the lenght of the building . store that point and stake it out . now you have 2 corners of the building , the other 2 can be done with point in direction where the zimuths is a diffrence of 90 degree;s or 100 gons .. or you can do line offset  (with the correct dimensions and stake the other 2 corners out.

Thanks,

You're Champion!

Dan

Kendall,

I have laid out my first building site. 1200'x 65' and the corners are square to within 1". I did it twice just for the practice. The first time I laid it out square with true north. The second attempt was aligned with the south edge (not square with the world) and it was really a piece of cake to lay it out too. The practice run probably meant I completed the actual layout. It helped me trust the process. Thanks.

Dan

fast survey is good software ..promark 3 works fine in rtk mode  close range if you have to extend some postprocessing will be required before launching rtk

I don't think this is as much a matter of surveying (especially that of boundary) as it is a survey equipment support issue.  Construction layout does not fall under the legal definition of Land Surveying in my State (WI). The only thing I may tend to be cautious of is local ordinances (zoning, etc.) which may not be an issue at all since the existing foundation is being used as a reference for placement of a new structure.  If there is a building permit to do it this way all is clear.  On the equipment user's side, point in direction means (in most software) that you could set your instrument on a found building corner, sight the direction the wall, and compute the coordinates you need using right-angles from the baseline you made of the one wall.  For example, Coordinates on a found building corner can be assumed to be 5000.00 / 5000.00.  We know that the building will be 1020.00 feet on one side, so just "assume" North on the other corner, meaning that the coordinates on the other building corner will be 5120.00 / 5000.00.  It does not matter if you are facing North or not, your instrument has no idea of this, it's a trick I learned a long time ago, as long as you are set up on the one and backsighting the other.  So the coordinates on the other two building corners will be 5120.00 / 5062.00 and 5000.00 / 5062.00.  Now you have a perfect rectangle.  Be sure to calculate the hypotenuse and check the stakes diagonally in the field.  

Best Regards, 

Scott D. Warner, R.L.S. 

Scott,

Thanks. I agree the use of the word survey is wrong. I have been a dirt contractor for a little over 30 years, including about ten years with my father-in-law. When I was learning the dirt business he called checking elevation "surveying" and I picked it up too.

Dan Smith M.D.

(Mover of Dirt)

Dan,

I'm glad things worked out for you.  When I worked for a Landscaping company during the Summer months while attending college, one of the things we used was an engineer's level (auto-level) to check elevations.  It was called a "transit" by the crew, notwithstanding that it was not a transit at all.  A transit is an instrument for measuring angles, both vertically and horizontally.  Well, we all knew what the so-called "transit" was and how to use it.  Fine and dandy, I guess.  Maybe fine, but not dandy....?  (That's George Carlin) I love his humor!

Please feel free to question or comment again.  A man with your "level" of experience (pun intended) might be able to help Land Surveyors see things from a different "angle" (pun intended)....have you checked out these groups?............

www.landsurveyorsunited.com/group/creativeconstruction

www.landsurveyorsunited.com/group/constructionsurveying

-Scott D. Warner, R.L.S.

(Really Seeking Solutions)

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides

Surveyor Community Hubs For World Regions

Surveying Hubs For US States

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Photos by Tag

Surveying Videos by Tag

+LandSurveyorsUnitedon Google+

Survey Earth in a Day 7

Surveyor Birthdays

© 2018   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service