I am the city surveyor for the city of East Providence.  We have just finished a survey for one of the city parks, and in doing research for the parcel, I discovered an easement reserved by Mr. Medberry reserving access to Narragansett Bay for his homestead.  As Mr. Medberry's parcel and all the surrounding parcels were taken by condemnation for the park, Is that easement automatically extinguished?

I had made a reference to the easement in my surveyor's report, but because the need for the easement no longer existed(a public park allows access to all) I did not show the easement on the plan, as I thought it would only be confusing.

Should I have shown the easement?

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 490

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

Replies to This Discussion

Were the parcels all recombined or does the former Medberry tract still exist? In my opinion the easement would only be extinguished if the property it served no longer existed.

In my practice in Louisiana we have defined several kinds of servitudes (easements). Some depend upon the owners of the serviant and dominant estates. Some are a privilege/obligation of the estate itself regardless of owner disposition. 

Also some servitudes exist as long as needed or as long as agreed to, or while a certain condition exists. So, the current situation, in your case, would require contemporary knowledge to decide. For instance,

- does Mr. Medberry's easement still serve the lands (now subdivided?) is probably a statutory question.

- did the easement's use ripen into a public R.O.W. over time? depends upon local practices.

- did the easement obligate the parcel to another parcel (predial) for instance drainage? in which case it only ceases if the parcels are merged. (One cannot have an easement against oneself.)

It seems to me you have determined that the easement has been extinguished and so it doesn't appear on your plat. However, you may feel more confident describing it and why it is extinguished in your description/report.

JAC

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SKIP FARROW (1953-2015)

Help With Survey Equipment

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Video Categories

Surveying Photo Categories

United States Hub Forums

International Surveyor Hub Forums

Resources for Company Owners

Land Surveyor Social Media

Surveyor Resources Collections

Getting Started & Newsletter

New Equipment Added Daily

Topcon GTS-601 Electronic Total Station w/ Case

$103.50 (3 Bids)
End Date: Saturday Oct-20-2018 16:18:38 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Trimble TDS Recon 400 Survey Data Collector Total Station GPS Robotics Pro

$299.00
End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 9:56:58 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $299.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Trimble Nomad GPS GNSS Robotics Total Station Data Collector w/ Survey Pro

$535.00
End Date: Thursday Nov-15-2018 7:54:55 PST
Buy It Now for only: $535.00

AdirPro GNSS Surveying 220-Degree Wide Angle Prism 720-21 for Topcon and Sokkia

$599.95
End Date: Wednesday Nov-14-2018 14:14:07 PST
Buy It Now for only: $599.95

NEW Spectra Precision PM5 220 Promark /MobileMappper Field GPS L1/L2 Fast Survey

$2,500.00
End Date: Wednesday Nov-7-2018 10:18:54 PST
Buy It Now for only: $2,500.00

© 2018   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service