Hello,

I am a Civil Engineer with limited survey knowledge and have been reviewing geodetic concepts and the subject of vertical datum.  In the civil engineering profession, many times a day I see reference to MSL but know the surveyor has indicated NAVD88 as the vertical datum.  It seems that anything related to tide stations such as NAVD88  or NGVD1929 would in some way be considered MSL.  However, it remains a source of confusion, as a novice surveyor, I am unfamiliar with the surveyor definition of MSL.  Can someone elaborate on the difference(s) between "MSL" and NAVD88, if any ?

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 478

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

MSL is a local measurement of actual tides over the span of 1 epoch. Ngvd29 is a national leveling network giving a common reference datum over long distances. NAVD88 is a hybrid datum that combines leveling data with gravity measurements. NGVD29 and NAVD88 have no direct correlation to MSL and the value will vary depending on location. Check a local tidal gauge to determine the MSL in your desired datum.

(continued)

The next datum we are discussing is the tidal datum. The movements of the earth, sun, and moon create the movements of the tides along with other influences. These are generally periodic and take 18.6 years to cycle through. “A tidal datum is a standard elevation defined by a certain phase of the tide. Tidal datums are used as references to measure local water levels and should not be extended into areas having differing oceanographic characteristics without substantiating measurements.” “The NTDE (National Tidal Datum Epoch) is a specific 19-year period over which tide observations are taken to determine Mean Sea Level and other tidal datums such as Mean Lower Low Water and Mean High Water.” (NOAA) Mean sea level may be determined at a tide gage as the average of mean high water and mean low water observations.

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away… no that’s another script. Back in the day, before the invasion of electronics into surveying, there wasn’t much concern about some universal datum, especially when performing a survey of limited scope. Such datums are irrelevant to the purpose at hand. Local surveys used local datums. The boundary had an origin at the POB and was aligned along the first side line called, &c. There may be a local benchmark that everyone nearby used or a TBM was set for any project.

There was an official vertical datum called MSL29 that was the result of trying to mean the mean sea levels from 26 tide gages, 21 in the United States and 5 in Canada. Since without government sized resources one had little hope of accurately carrying levels for any great distances, the accuracy of MSL29 was not as important as was providing “official” bench marks for putting on “official” documents. As people became more aware of those facts the name of the datum was changed from Mean Sea Level 1929 to National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929.

With the intrusion of electronics and satellite positioning surveys that were no longer local in scope became more common even for the smallest survey practices. The newer techniques presented a problem to NGS in that every day surveyors were making observations with greater precision than the underlying datum. NGS responded first with NAD93 (horizontal) and later with the North American Vertical Datum 1988. NAVD88 became the official datum of the U.S. in 1991. NGS can no longer say what the NGVD29 values would be at any monument.

The recognized method of determining an estimated MAVD29 value is to use the best current method to determine NAVD88 and stick those values into an program you can get from NGS called VERTCON.

• Real MSL only available at tide gage
  •  NAVD88 official datum for U.S.
  •  An “official” estimate of NGVD29 is possible using VERTCON

Yours,

JAC

Very good Anthony. There isn't much left to say. The problem with MSL is it isn't consistent, ie: it varies from location to location. If you run levels from one tidal bench mark to another down the beach a number of miles away, the levels probably won't close. NGVD' 29 & NAVD' 88 were created to correct this. NGS is currently readjusting NAD, 83 & NAVD' 88. This new adjustment is scheduled to be effective in 2022.

I guess nobody told FEMA, many of their flood maps are still on '29 datum. I use the published NGVD' 29 datum when I need that datum if it is available. So far, I haven't needed VERTCON.

Now if I can just figure out how to convert my LORAN C fishing coordinates to Lat. & Long.! I found two on line programs that claim to do so but agreement isn't too good. My older Furuno GPS will work with either lat. & long. or LORAN but I don't see a direct conversion yet.

Simple answer: NAVD88 is a reference datum that is now the current standard. Mean Sea Level is measured over time. MSL can be related to any datum. NGVD 29 elevation # will be different than a NAVD88 # but the MSL is the same. Just related to a more modern adjustment of the datum. Hope that made sense.

Here is three pages about MSL

http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0703/geoid1of3.html

this one is from NOAA

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GEOID/PRESENTATIONS/2007_02_24_CCPS/Roman_...

good question, Great answers

Nice  understandable reply with picture thank u Mr.Billy

Antonhy and Charlie have already given you great answers. I recommend you read this: Why Am I “Mean” About Sea Level? 

It’s a little bit technical but you will understand it!!!    

Mr. Alex Roses,

I think you misunderstood  my reply, I never compete with other people reply.s on who's the best.

I meant that everyone's answers was great, and what a great site this is. I have the deepest respect for Mr. Cavell and Mr. Aycock. And I asssure you both of them know it.

This is not a Yahoo chat room this is Land Surveyor United ,not divided. And I do not apply insults in my reply's ,so everyone can see where you are coming from. So if you are looking for arise you will not find

one. Respect can sometimes be technical for some people.

Best Regards

Mr Billy Brooks

My apologies to you and all those who have offended. My intention was not to criticize, but to contribute to the subject.

I think your comment it’s because my final line: “It’s a little bit technical but you will understand it!!!” I wrote because I suppose Mr Turlington is not familiar with most of the term. I quote him: “as a novice surveyor, I am unfamiliar with the surveyor definition of MSL”. I meant “It´s a little bit difficult but you will understand!” I messed up.

My bad if looks like I’m trying to arise or something like that. Land Surveyor United, not divided. Just like you write.

Best Regards

Mr. Roses, Ditto back to you, look forward to here from you in the future.

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Dedicated to the Memory of Skip Farrow (1953-2015)

+ Surveyor Sharer

Drag Button to bookmark bar and view submitted links here.Will soon be moved to a directory

AFGHANISTAN SURVEYORS ALBANIA SURVEYORS ALGERIA SURVEYORS AMERICAN SAMOA SURVEYORS ANDORRA SURVEYORS
ANGOLA SURVEYORS ANGUILLA SURVEYORS ANTIGUA & BARBUDA SURVEYORS ARGENTINA SURVEYORS ARMENIA SURVEYORS
ARUBA SURVEYORS AUSTRALIA SURVEYORS AUSTRIA SURVEYORS AZERBAIJAN SURVEYORS BAHAMAS SURVEYORS
BAHRAIN SURVEYORS BANGLADESH SURVEYORS BARBADOS SURVEYORS BELARUS SURVEYORS BELGIUM SURVEYORS
BELIZE SURVEYORS BENIN SURVEYORS BERMUDA SURVEYORS BHUTAN SURVEYORS BOLIVIA SURVEYORS
BOSNIA & HERZEGOWINA SURVEYORS BOTSWANA SURVEYORS BRAZIL SURVEYORS BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY SURVEYORS
BRUNEI DARUSSALAM SURVEYORS BULGARIA SURVEYORS BURKINA FASO SURVEYORS BURUNDI SURVEYORS CAMBODIA SURVEYORS
CAMEROON SURVEYORS CANADA SURVEYORS CAPE VERDE SURVEYORS CAYMAN ISLANDS SURVEYORS CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
CHAD SURVEYORS CHILE SURVEYORS CHINA SURVEYORS COLOMBIA SURVEYORS COMOROS SURVEYORS
CONGO SURVEYORS DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO SURVEYORS COOK ISLANDS SURVEYORS COSTA RICA SURVEYORS COTE D'IVOIRE SURVEYORS
CROATIA SURVEYORS CUBA SURVEYORS CURACAO SURVEYORS CYPRUS SURVEYORS CZECH REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
DENMARK SURVEYORS DJIBOUTI SURVEYORS DOMINICA SURVEYORS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SURVEYORS ECUADOR SURVEYORS
EGYPT SURVEYORS EL SALVADOR SURVEYORS EQUATORIAL GUINEA SURVEYORS ERITREA SURVEYORS ESTONIA SURVEYORS
ETHIOPIA SURVEYORS EUROPEAN UNION SURVEYORS FAROE ISLANDS SURVEYORS FIJI SURVEYORS FINLAND SURVEYORS
FRANCE SURVEYORS FRENCH GUIANA SURVEYORS FRENCH POLYNESIA SURVEYORS GABON SURVEYORS GAMBIA SURVEYORS
GEORGIA SURVEYORS GERMANY SURVEYORS GHANA SURVEYORS GIBRALTAR SURVEYORS GREECE SURVEYORS
GREENLAND SURVEYORS GRENADA SURVEYORS GUADELOUPE SURVEYORS GUAM SURVEYORS GUATEMALA SURVEYORS
GUERNSEY SURVEYORS GUINEA SURVEYORS GUINEA-BISSAU SURVEYORS GUYANA SURVEYORS HAITI SURVEYORS
HOLY SEE SURVEYORS HONDURAS SURVEYORS HONG KONG SURVEYORS HUNGARY SURVEYORS ICELAND SURVEYORS
INDIA SURVEYORS INDONESIA SURVEYORS IRAN SURVEYORS IRAQ SURVEYORS IRELAND SURVEYORS
ISLE OF MAN SURVEYORS ISRAEL SURVEYORS ITALY SURVEYORS JAMAICA SURVEYORS JAPAN SURVEYORS
JERSEY SURVEYORS JORDAN SURVEYORS KAZAKHSTAN SURVEYORS KENYA SURVEYORS KIRIBATI SURVEYORS
KOREA SURVEYORS KOREA REPUBLIC OF SURVEYORS KUWAIT SURVEYORS KYRGYZSTAN SURVEYORS LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
LATVIA SURVEYORS LEBANON SURVEYORS LESOTHO SURVEYORS LIBERIA SURVEYORS LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA SURVEYORS
LIECHTENSTEIN SURVEYORS LITHUANIA SURVEYORS LUXEMBOURG SURVEYORS MACAU SURVEYORS MACEDONIA SURVEYORS
MADAGASCAR SURVEYORS MALAWI SURVEYORS MALAYSIA SURVEYORS MALDIVES SURVEYORS MALI SURVEYORS
MALTA SURVEYORS MARSHALL ISLANDS SURVEYORS MARTINIQUE SURVEYORS MAURITANIA SURVEYORS MAURITIUS SURVEYORS
MAYOTTE SURVEYORS MEXICO SURVEYORS MICRONESIA SURVEYORS MOLDOVA SURVEYORS MONACO SURVEYORS
MONGOLIA SURVEYORS MONTENEGRO SURVEYORS MONTSERRAT SURVEYORS MOROCCO SURVEYORS MOZAMBIQUE SURVEYORS
MYANMAR SURVEYORS NAMIBIA SURVEYORS NAURU SURVEYORS NEPAL SURVEYORS NETHERLANDS SURVEYORS
NEW CALEDONIA SURVEYORS NEW ZEALAND SURVEYORS NICARAGUA SURVEYORS NIGER SURVEYORS NIGERIA SURVEYORS
NIUE SURVEYORS NON-SPEC ASIA PAS LOCATION SURVEYORS NORFOLK ISLAND SURVEYORS NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS SURVEYORS NORWAY SURVEYORS
OMAN SURVEYORS PAKISTAN SURVEYORS PALAU SURVEYORS PALESTINIAN TERRITORY OCCUPIED SURVEYORS PANAMA SURVEYORS
PAPUA NEW GUINEA SURVEYORS PARAGUAY SURVEYORS PERU SURVEYORS PHILIPPINES SURVEYORS POLAND SURVEYORS
PORTUGAL SURVEYORS PUERTO RICO SURVEYORS QATAR SURVEYORS RESERVED SURVEYORS REUNION SURVEYORS
ROMANIA SURVEYORS RUSSIAN FEDERATION SURVEYORS RWANDA SURVEYORS SAINT KITTS & NEVIS SURVEYORS SAINT LUCIA SURVEYORS
SAINT MARTIN SURVEYORS SAINT VINCENT & THE GRENADINES SURVEYORS SAMOA SURVEYORS SAN MARINO SURVEYORS SAO TOME & PRINCIPE SURVEYORS
SAUDI ARABIA SURVEYORS SENEGAL SURVEYORS SERBIA SURVEYORS SEYCHELLES SURVEYORS SIERRA LEONE SURVEYORS
SINGAPORE SURVEYORS SINT MAARTEN SURVEYORS SLOVAKIA (SLOVAK REPUBLIC) SURVEYORS SLOVENIA SURVEYORS SOLOMON ISLANDS SURVEYORS
SOMALIA SURVEYORS SOUTH AFRICA SURVEYORS SOUTH SUDAN SURVEYORS SPAIN SURVEYORS SRI LANKA SURVEYORS
ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON SURVEYORS SUDAN SURVEYORS SURINAME SURVEYORS SWAZILAND SURVEYORS SWEDEN SURVEYORS
SWITZERLAND SURVEYORS SYRIAN ARAB REPUBLIC SURVEYORS TAIWAN; REPUBLIC OF CHINA (ROC) SURVEYORS TAJIKISTAN SURVEYORS TANZANIA UNITED REPUBLIC OF SURVEYORS
THAILAND SURVEYORS TIMOR-LESTE SURVEYORS TOGO SURVEYORS TOKELAU SURVEYORS TONGA SURVEYORS
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO SURVEYORS TUNISIA SURVEYORS TURKEY SURVEYORS TURKMENISTAN SURVEYORS TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS SURVEYORS
TUVALU SURVEYORS UGANDA SURVEYORS UKRAINE SURVEYORS UNITED ARAB EMIRATES SURVEYORS UNITED KINGDOM SURVEYORS
UNITED STATES SURVEYORS URUGUAY SURVEYORS UZBEKISTAN SURVEYORS VANUATU SURVEYORS VENEZUELA SURVEYORS
VIET NAM SURVEYORS VIRGIN ISLANDS (BRITISH) SURVEYORS VIRGIN ISLANDS (U.S.) SURVEYORS WALLIS AND FUTUNA ISLANDS SURVEYORS YEMEN SURVEYORS
ZAMBIA SURVEYORS ZIMBABWE SURVEYORS SURVEYORS

Location Based Surveying Practices

Land Surveyors United is the world's FIRST Global Social Network for geospatial professionals. We have dedicated, geolocated support groups for practically every country, continent and state on earth, for you to utilize for building your personal network. We are all essentially concerned with the same issues, no matter where we are located on earth. However, surveying practices and methods vary depending on the geographic location where we work. If you have noticed similarities and differences between the conditions, laws and practices between two or more areas of the world,discuss it in this forum. Build your reputation online by posting relevant discussions in your local group below.

Join and Introduce Yourself in Your Local Geosocial Forum:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California
Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia
Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa
Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland
Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri
Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey
New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina
South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont
Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Not based in the US? Here are other groups for surveyors around the world to join and contribute knowledge and experiences as a land surveyor:

Africa Asia Australia Europe Russia Canada
Antarctica S.America N. America India Malaysia Caribbean

And more... Find your group forum based on location.

Choose Your Equipment Group Here

Handheld US Social Support for Land SurveyorsNIKON Social Support for Land SurveyorsTrimble Social Support for Land SurveyorsTopcon Social Support for Land SurveyorsSokkia Social Support for Land SurveyorsAshtech Social Support for Land SurveyorsNAVCOM Social Support for Land SurveyorsMagellan Social Support for Land SurveyorsLeica Social Support for Land SurveyorsAltus Positioning Social Support for Land SurveyorsMicroSurvey Social Support for Land SurveyorsJuniper Systems Social Support for Land SurveyorsTraverse PC Social Support for Land SurveyorsCarlson Software Social Support for Land Surveyors

what where  
job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search

PLEASE DONATE TODAY. Your generosity preserves surveying and mapping knowledge for future generations. Thank you.

Survey Equipment Troubles?

Geo Visitors Map

Choose Your Group Here

Surveying Equipment Support for Leica, Carlson, Sokkia, Trimble, Topcon, Altus, Nikon equipment

Surveyor Birthdays

© 2017   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Support