Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Land Surveyor

I have an old TDS Recon with Survey Pro 4.2.1. It was running RTK successfully in the past, but now every time I try to set it up again I get the following message: "Unspecified projection error. The coordinate was out of range of the coordinate system or grid files"

I have tried a local projection and also a mapping plane approach with the same result. I start with an assumed point Ā (5000,5000), then establish geodetic values on it with the GPS receivers, and still get the error. Also stored an autonomous point with no success. I have tried moving points the proper coordinates with the projection routine and the collector will not make the calculation - gives an error message. I have even tried storing a point with the proper GPS Ā lat / long and corresponding State Plane values (calculated with Corpscon) and it still will not work. Seems like something is corrupted in the software as I have done this in the past many times, but I am not ruling out something I am doing wrong.

I did verify the GPS receivers were working correctly. Used the Recon to store static observations and processed successfully with OPUS.

I really would like to get this collector going again and do not desire to upgrade as this is just used for the rare side project. Any help or suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

Thanks for the responses so far- sorry I have not responded sooner, but I just now got power back on here in North Georgia thanks to Irma. Anyway, Ā I am not using a VRS network. I am simple connecting to Topcon receivers and trying to do RTK. I will look at the geoid update. Trying to stay away from the Trimble site for updates as they always embed a nice little fee somewhere for every update :)

• Land Surveyor
    You don't say if your using a VRS Rtk network. If you are, the network may no longer support NAD83(CORS) and be broadcasting only NAD83(2011) corrections.
    Check with the service provider.
  • Land Surveyor

I don't blame you for not updating. If it ain't broke, you'll break something trying to unnecessarily fix it. Ā I waste more time waiting on updates to load; only to find out they changed some stinking font or input box. Ā Its like surveying for an engineer that wants to move a soccer field a foot just to be able to bill the client again.

• Doug,

You most likely need to update the Geoid file that is in your data collector. Ā 

Try doing an initialization setup for the sessions by using the "here" option to find a local coordinateĀ 

Also, if you are close to a zone boundary you will get an error if your position is outside the limits of that zone. Ā So try the next zone near you. Ā It happens more than you might think - Ā It happens couple times a year here in Central Indiana which has both Indiana East and West zones overlap.

Lastly and most obvious, is there a reason you have not updated from 4.2.1? Ā 

Kevin

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives