Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

I'm a long time user of the Trimble 4800 and 4700 gps systems.  They've way out performed their life span but just keep right on giving me good results.  I'm thinking seriously about buying the Trimble R10 but I don't want to drop $50,000 on 2 new systems.  I'm planning on using the VRS network in my area but there are several spots that I won't be able to be on the VRS.  Couldn't I just use the R10 and my 4700 base in the case of not being on the VRS?  What will I be losing if I do this?  I'm also wanting to upgrade to a newer base radio and hope that the new base radios will work with my 4700.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Not sure I always get the best thoughts from my dealer.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The 4700 andthe R10 are compatible...but if you are using trimble Access be wary of "glitchiness" . I use R10's with R8-2's and as a best practice I make sure to write a new survey style and change the radio station back and forth on every start up. If I don't sometimes they won't link up even after using the same Survey style and radio channel from thre previous usage... I don't think you will be able to use Glonass satellites with the configuration you are talking about. Also if I recall a static observation with the 4700 takes over 2 hours. You can cut that down to 15 minutes with an R-10. Saving 1 hour and 45 minutes of billable time on every setup seems like a good way to justify the expense of upgrading your equipment. Also I have heard of many improvements of low orbit satellites and vrs solutions provided by Trimble. Curious to hear about what solution you pick. Take care.
  • GEO Ambassador

First the 4700 will work as a Base, and it will transmit you a signal but only what it is designed to which is L1,L2. basic GPS  Hopefully your projects want be downtown, around buildings etc. where you will need Glonass as part of your RTK solution to be productive. If most of your daily projects are within the radius of the VRS, and only 10% or 15% falls outside the area. You could purchase 3 receivers, which could all be potential  Rovers, then when you need a Base, configure one to be base and hook up  a base radio, and you'll save on that fourth receiver. Comes down to where those 10% projects usually fall, and how bad do you need Glonass data.

As for radios, you are probably using Pacific Crest with Trimble 450s labeled and painted yellow, and the radios you have will transmit the signal, but the new radios have more features, and will work with the 4700 or the R10.

If I can help let me know

[email protected]

Skip Farrow 

• Thanks for the reply.  I'm only looking for one complete gps system since I'm a one man operation anymore.  I think I confused the issue when I said, "2 systems" when I meant 2 GPS stations.  Anyways, much of my work is in rural Nebraska where I have cell reception but in rural Nebraska there are some areas that I won't get reception and thus not on the VRS.  I'm think about getting some kind of a booster to help with that and maybe it would cut down my no reception areas to a minimum.  I just don't want to have to buy a R10 and maybe a R8 Model 3 as base if I don't have too.  I currently have Trimmark IIe radios.... so yes I've got old stuff.  LOL That's why I would upgrade the base radio as well....just wanted to make sure the 4700 would work with R10 and new radio.

• GEO Ambassador

there may be someone to help you directly inside the Trimble Support Group   if you drop a comment there pointing to this discussion you may see some immediate activity..

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives