Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Hi everyone,
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā great resource you've got going on here, glad I found it :)

Ok back to the subject, my question is this: When using RTK (Trimble VRSnow) corrections, why is my height orthometric?

I want an RTK-corrected UTM29 position.. but after feeding corrections into my 5700 I get a position + orthometric height which makes me think its using a local grid projection...

But where is it getting this from!!??? I didnt load any projection or Geoid into the receiver!

Here is an example of some of the corrected string:

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

Hi Jack,

My initial thought is that the GPGGA message is defined, it has a set of rules. The rules include that the co-ordinate system is always WGS84 and the height is relative to the Geoid. your receiver will have the geoid built into it and the GPGGA string will call out the separation and apply it.

I suspect if you were to output your position information in another format, maybe a native raw position string(does that exist in trimble) that defines the height as being on the ellipsoid, you would get a different result.

Note your position is also in LL and not UTM.

I have never used a 5700 before or the associated trimble software for setting it up. I could be well off the mark.

• Thanks for the reply, this gives me something to work with, I will get back if I come up with anything new

Cheers

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives