Im looking at used robots. years ago like maybe 8 years a topcon rep demoed a 9003a. the company didn't buy it. I see a few online. any comments on this robot? pros cons? I thought he said it would do scans on buildings. take a shot every couple inches.

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 213

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

The 9003a is a solid robot. It performs well enough and I think if purchased, you will find it to be in the average level of comparable robots. It tracks well, holds great vertical, and is easy enough to use. You will find it is not as fast as newer robots, isn't as easy as the newer robots to field calibrate/compensate, and the communication system leaves a bit to be desired. You have to use a RC-3 or RC-4 unit on top of the prism which is a pain and costly if damaged. ($5k piece of equipment on top of your $1k prism).

We still have a few out in the field (I manage approximately 56 crews across the US). The guys that have them, when offered an upgrade to a QS, PS, or GT, always have wanted to keep their 9003a. The main feedback I get is how tight the horizontal and vertical stays in them compared to the others (which is good bc they are not as easy to field adjust).

As far as scanning, I do not believe the 9003a has any kind of significant scanning abilities, nor would I trust it. Obviously, you can shoot reflectorless as well as setup auto-topo depending on your software, but personally, I would not consider the 9003a as a scanner in any way!

They are a good, solid robot with a few drawbacks but if you take care of it and learn to use it right, it will get the job done accurately and relatively headache free! Hope this helps a little!  

I'm using a QS and FC-5000 (Juniper Mesa 2) tablet.  I've had recurring connection glitches between the data collector and instrument for several months (Bluetooth and WiFi probelms).  No one can figure it out.  The tablet has a tendency to freeze and restart itself 6 or 8 times each day (sometimes in the middle of a measurement).  Very unreliable on a good day.

I have two instruments and two tablets (one of the tablets is 30 days old).  Topcon makes very durable and reliable instruments and I like the prism finder button on the RC-4 but at this point due to the connection problems I would not reccommend a Topcon robotic system to my worst enemy and I regret investing in them.  I also use a Topcon GR-3 for RTK GNSS measurements.

Maybe the GT is better, I don't know and I probably never will

David Kendall:

The last 2 Windows 10 versions are creating issues in the FC-5000 collectors. I have talked directly with Topcon about it as it has affected a handful of our collectors. What I have done is sent out instruction to our crews on how to turn off, or at least delay, any updates for the near future. If you are not out of the time window, you do have the ability to recover your last version of Windows. We have found issues with Windows 10 Pro 1703 and 1709 but most drastically with 1709.

The one other option you have is to re-image the collector...essentially setting it back to new and blocking updates. You will have to backup all of your info and re-install any additional software, but it should get you back to running decent. I have had to do this to our most extreme cases.

Page 21 of the FC-5000 user manual covers the process if you want to give it a shot!

As far as the issues, I believe 100% it is a Windows issue and not a Topcon/Magnet issue. If you search the error codes and error screens, as well as some of the other glitches, you will see they are coming up for people surveying on FC-5000s to people using financing software on PCs. There is some kind of error being created in the Windows registry and it appears to be creating conflicts when multiple applications are running...which is always!

One other note, equipment configs and jobs can become corrupted in Magnet. Sometimes, creating an identical equipment config with a different name will fix issues. Sometimes, exporting all your points, creating a new job, and bringing just the points in will fix the issue. That IS a Magnet issue and I have told Topcon about it as well!

Thanks for the input Gary, it sounds like you have made some good progress on this issue and I will try your suggestions.  I expect it will take a couple of days of lost time to sort it all out

Unfortunately, my dim view of Topcon's robotic setup precedes this recent episode.

I have said since Summer 2016 when I started using the QS that I really like the Topcon setup on the T&M jobs because everything takes twice as long.  Prior to purchasing the first tablet we were using an FC-100 (I believe).  It had similar problems with freezing and restarts, presumably a BT glitch.  Finally it crashed completely and we bought the tablet.  The tablet worked well for about six months.  Now it won't connect to internet hotspots (iphone).  The batteries on the QS went bad and we bought a new charging unit.  The RC-4 had to be rebuilt.  The windows glitches are just another drop in the bucket.  The main problem is the amount of time we spend on every project tapping on the screen trying to get the thing to work right.  There is certainly an above average number of quirks with this setup, I've used Leica robots, Trimble S6 and Sokkia, Topcon and Nikon conventional instruments since 1999 and we bought a Trimble SX-10 last spring.  I've never expereinced anything so tempramental as this Topcon robotic system.  It's difficult to put into words....

My intent is to get a DC that cables to the instrument and the RC-4 so that I can bypass the bluetooth modules.  The tablet does not appear to have this capability

The only thing I can say that is positive about the Topcon instruments at this point is that they last a really long time.  I'm not sure anymore this is truly a blessing.  I wish things could be different as I am currently afflicted with two of them and I would like them to work as buying new total stations is not an option at the moment.  I will probably be pulling my hair out over Topcon quirks for at least another year or I will buy an older used Leica and a Juniper /Carlson Allegro

David,

We feel and understand your pain. We recently had a sit down with some Topcon reps as well as our vendor and let them have it for about 2 hours! I backed it up with purchase dates, repair dates, everything. They had no leg to stand on! I am a Topcon guy...I love their GPS and software. I have ALWAYS despised their robotics...conventionals are great...but since I have gone to robotics, I hate them. I had a Leica 1203+ that would run circles around any Topcon robot out there.

As far as cabling to your robot, you have a couple options. The one you may have explored is bypassing the RC unit and bluetoothing straight to the QS. You only have a 60' range so it will have to be a 2-man crew to pull off, but it can get you out of a jam. You may have already explored that option though. The other option, which you won't like either, is there are different models of FC-5000. One has the option for the RS232 port to be on the collector ($600-$900 extra)...old school 9 pin serial like all of us older surveyors know. I would assume there is a cable made to run that connection to the QS. Another model is the Geo model. I have not used the feature and we do not have the geo models, but my understanding with them is that you can turn on Hybrid and use the GPS locator in the FC-5000 to turn the robot to the area you are in, and then it will search your preset work area. Again, I have yet to use that feature, so I am sure there is more to it than that, but they are some additional options you can research and/or try!

Hi

Hi have 1 spectra focus 30 "5 + ranger 3 survey pro and 360 degree. Much better than gpt 9000. Hi can sell in 8500 euro . Im from portugal .

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Dedicated to the Memory of Skip Farrow (1953-2015)

+ Surveyor Sharer

Drag Button to bookmark bar and view submitted links here.Will soon be moved to a directory

AFGHANISTAN SURVEYORS ALBANIA SURVEYORS ALGERIA SURVEYORS AMERICAN SAMOA SURVEYORS ANDORRA SURVEYORS
ANGOLA SURVEYORS ANGUILLA SURVEYORS ANTIGUA & BARBUDA SURVEYORS ARGENTINA SURVEYORS ARMENIA SURVEYORS
ARUBA SURVEYORS AUSTRALIA SURVEYORS AUSTRIA SURVEYORS AZERBAIJAN SURVEYORS BAHAMAS SURVEYORS
BAHRAIN SURVEYORS BANGLADESH SURVEYORS BARBADOS SURVEYORS BELARUS SURVEYORS BELGIUM SURVEYORS
BELIZE SURVEYORS BENIN SURVEYORS BERMUDA SURVEYORS BHUTAN SURVEYORS BOLIVIA SURVEYORS
BOSNIA & HERZEGOWINA SURVEYORS BOTSWANA SURVEYORS BRAZIL SURVEYORS BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY SURVEYORS
BRUNEI DARUSSALAM SURVEYORS BULGARIA SURVEYORS BURKINA FASO SURVEYORS BURUNDI SURVEYORS CAMBODIA SURVEYORS
CAMEROON SURVEYORS CANADA SURVEYORS CAPE VERDE SURVEYORS CAYMAN ISLANDS SURVEYORS CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
CHAD SURVEYORS CHILE SURVEYORS CHINA SURVEYORS COLOMBIA SURVEYORS COMOROS SURVEYORS
CONGO SURVEYORS DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO SURVEYORS COOK ISLANDS SURVEYORS COSTA RICA SURVEYORS COTE D'IVOIRE SURVEYORS
CROATIA SURVEYORS CUBA SURVEYORS CURACAO SURVEYORS CYPRUS SURVEYORS CZECH REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
DENMARK SURVEYORS DJIBOUTI SURVEYORS DOMINICA SURVEYORS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SURVEYORS ECUADOR SURVEYORS
EGYPT SURVEYORS EL SALVADOR SURVEYORS EQUATORIAL GUINEA SURVEYORS ERITREA SURVEYORS ESTONIA SURVEYORS
ETHIOPIA SURVEYORS EUROPEAN UNION SURVEYORS FAROE ISLANDS SURVEYORS FIJI SURVEYORS FINLAND SURVEYORS
FRANCE SURVEYORS FRENCH GUIANA SURVEYORS FRENCH POLYNESIA SURVEYORS GABON SURVEYORS GAMBIA SURVEYORS
GEORGIA SURVEYORS GERMANY SURVEYORS GHANA SURVEYORS GIBRALTAR SURVEYORS GREECE SURVEYORS
GREENLAND SURVEYORS GRENADA SURVEYORS GUADELOUPE SURVEYORS GUAM SURVEYORS GUATEMALA SURVEYORS
GUERNSEY SURVEYORS GUINEA SURVEYORS GUINEA-BISSAU SURVEYORS GUYANA SURVEYORS HAITI SURVEYORS
HOLY SEE SURVEYORS HONDURAS SURVEYORS HONG KONG SURVEYORS HUNGARY SURVEYORS ICELAND SURVEYORS
INDIA SURVEYORS INDONESIA SURVEYORS IRAN SURVEYORS IRAQ SURVEYORS IRELAND SURVEYORS
ISLE OF MAN SURVEYORS ISRAEL SURVEYORS ITALY SURVEYORS JAMAICA SURVEYORS JAPAN SURVEYORS
JERSEY SURVEYORS JORDAN SURVEYORS KAZAKHSTAN SURVEYORS KENYA SURVEYORS KIRIBATI SURVEYORS
KOREA SURVEYORS KOREA REPUBLIC OF SURVEYORS KUWAIT SURVEYORS KYRGYZSTAN SURVEYORS LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC SURVEYORS
LATVIA SURVEYORS LEBANON SURVEYORS LESOTHO SURVEYORS LIBERIA SURVEYORS LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA SURVEYORS
LIECHTENSTEIN SURVEYORS LITHUANIA SURVEYORS LUXEMBOURG SURVEYORS MACAU SURVEYORS MACEDONIA SURVEYORS
MADAGASCAR SURVEYORS MALAWI SURVEYORS MALAYSIA SURVEYORS MALDIVES SURVEYORS MALI SURVEYORS
MALTA SURVEYORS MARSHALL ISLANDS SURVEYORS MARTINIQUE SURVEYORS MAURITANIA SURVEYORS MAURITIUS SURVEYORS
MAYOTTE SURVEYORS MEXICO SURVEYORS MICRONESIA SURVEYORS MOLDOVA SURVEYORS MONACO SURVEYORS
MONGOLIA SURVEYORS MONTENEGRO SURVEYORS MONTSERRAT SURVEYORS MOROCCO SURVEYORS MOZAMBIQUE SURVEYORS
MYANMAR SURVEYORS NAMIBIA SURVEYORS NAURU SURVEYORS NEPAL SURVEYORS NETHERLANDS SURVEYORS
NEW CALEDONIA SURVEYORS NEW ZEALAND SURVEYORS NICARAGUA SURVEYORS NIGER SURVEYORS NIGERIA SURVEYORS
NIUE SURVEYORS NON-SPEC ASIA PAS LOCATION SURVEYORS NORFOLK ISLAND SURVEYORS NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS SURVEYORS NORWAY SURVEYORS
OMAN SURVEYORS PAKISTAN SURVEYORS PALAU SURVEYORS PALESTINIAN TERRITORY OCCUPIED SURVEYORS PANAMA SURVEYORS
PAPUA NEW GUINEA SURVEYORS PARAGUAY SURVEYORS PERU SURVEYORS PHILIPPINES SURVEYORS POLAND SURVEYORS
PORTUGAL SURVEYORS PUERTO RICO SURVEYORS QATAR SURVEYORS RESERVED SURVEYORS REUNION SURVEYORS
ROMANIA SURVEYORS RUSSIAN FEDERATION SURVEYORS RWANDA SURVEYORS SAINT KITTS & NEVIS SURVEYORS SAINT LUCIA SURVEYORS
SAINT MARTIN SURVEYORS SAINT VINCENT & THE GRENADINES SURVEYORS SAMOA SURVEYORS SAN MARINO SURVEYORS SAO TOME & PRINCIPE SURVEYORS
SAUDI ARABIA SURVEYORS SENEGAL SURVEYORS SERBIA SURVEYORS SEYCHELLES SURVEYORS SIERRA LEONE SURVEYORS
SINGAPORE SURVEYORS SINT MAARTEN SURVEYORS SLOVAKIA (SLOVAK REPUBLIC) SURVEYORS SLOVENIA SURVEYORS SOLOMON ISLANDS SURVEYORS
SOMALIA SURVEYORS SOUTH AFRICA SURVEYORS SOUTH SUDAN SURVEYORS SPAIN SURVEYORS SRI LANKA SURVEYORS
ST. PIERRE AND MIQUELON SURVEYORS SUDAN SURVEYORS SURINAME SURVEYORS SWAZILAND SURVEYORS SWEDEN SURVEYORS
SWITZERLAND SURVEYORS SYRIAN ARAB REPUBLIC SURVEYORS TAIWAN; REPUBLIC OF CHINA (ROC) SURVEYORS TAJIKISTAN SURVEYORS TANZANIA UNITED REPUBLIC OF SURVEYORS
THAILAND SURVEYORS TIMOR-LESTE SURVEYORS TOGO SURVEYORS TOKELAU SURVEYORS TONGA SURVEYORS
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO SURVEYORS TUNISIA SURVEYORS TURKEY SURVEYORS TURKMENISTAN SURVEYORS TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS SURVEYORS
TUVALU SURVEYORS UGANDA SURVEYORS UKRAINE SURVEYORS UNITED ARAB EMIRATES SURVEYORS UNITED KINGDOM SURVEYORS
UNITED STATES SURVEYORS URUGUAY SURVEYORS UZBEKISTAN SURVEYORS VANUATU SURVEYORS VENEZUELA SURVEYORS
VIET NAM SURVEYORS VIRGIN ISLANDS (BRITISH) SURVEYORS VIRGIN ISLANDS (U.S.) SURVEYORS WALLIS AND FUTUNA ISLANDS SURVEYORS YEMEN SURVEYORS
ZAMBIA SURVEYORS ZIMBABWE SURVEYORS SURVEYORS

Location Based Surveying Practices

Land Surveyors United is the world's FIRST Global Social Network for geospatial professionals. We have dedicated, geolocated support groups for practically every country, continent and state on earth, for you to utilize for building your personal network. We are all essentially concerned with the same issues, no matter where we are located on earth. However, surveying practices and methods vary depending on the geographic location where we work. If you have noticed similarities and differences between the conditions, laws and practices between two or more areas of the world,discuss it in this forum. Build your reputation online by posting relevant discussions in your local group below.

Join and Introduce Yourself in Your Local Geosocial Forum:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California
Colorado Connecticut Delaware Florida Georgia
Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa
Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland
Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri
Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey
New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio
Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina
South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont
Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Not based in the US? Here are other groups for surveyors around the world to join and contribute knowledge and experiences as a land surveyor:

Africa Asia Australia Europe Russia Canada
Antarctica S.America N. America India Malaysia Caribbean

And more... Find your group forum based on location.

Choose Your Equipment Group Here

Handheld US Social Support for Land SurveyorsNIKON Social Support for Land SurveyorsTrimble Social Support for Land SurveyorsTopcon Social Support for Land SurveyorsSokkia Social Support for Land SurveyorsAshtech Social Support for Land SurveyorsNAVCOM Social Support for Land SurveyorsMagellan Social Support for Land SurveyorsLeica Social Support for Land SurveyorsAltus Positioning Social Support for Land SurveyorsMicroSurvey Social Support for Land SurveyorsJuniper Systems Social Support for Land SurveyorsTraverse PC Social Support for Land SurveyorsCarlson Software Social Support for Land Surveyors

what where  
job title, keywords or company
city, state or zip jobs by job search

PLEASE DONATE TODAY. Your generosity preserves surveying and mapping knowledge for future generations. Thank you.

Survey Equipment Troubles?

Geo Visitors Map

Choose Your Group Here

Surveying Equipment Support for Leica, Carlson, Sokkia, Trimble, Topcon, Altus, Nikon equipment

© 2017   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service