Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor

Hi,

any way to fix a topographic surveyed map upon a 3D scan survey?

I have surveyed a site and the site surveyed by 3D scan as well, so there are deference in the location of objects in the site between them, but not equal in deference part of the site, the site is to be used for reconstruction proposes and it's needed to be fixed both maps,

any suggestion or any way here?

Regards 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

The best way to find out mistake is to make traverse and scan survey by the same targets as a4 crosses.

I had the same problem year ago when we made a survey of all concrete in site and our head decided to make a 3 d model of full site.

So the biggest error in 3D traverse was 4 cm. and we decided to recheck all.

The mistake was in scan processing the APP had wrong decission and scale at all.

So try to do same as we did,Good luck!

• Land Surveyor

You can do some control scans using your control grid. But then you'll have to redo the scan registration including the control scans. Since the scanning task didn't include the control network they are most likely displaced. 

I believe the scan crew used targets to link them as they went. Though it´s a good practice it's not flawless and I experienced in some projects.

• Land Surveyor

You technically do it the opposite way of what you are doing. 3D scans are fixed to conventional survey coordinates. If your scans and total station objects aren't the same distance apart, then one of them is wrong. Either your traverse/control has error or your scan registration has error. Did the 3D scan include common targets? That's step one.

• Land Surveyor
      If the scan team is using targets, then you need to also locate those targets. After that, you identify those targets in the 3D scans and use the coordinates you obtained with your conventional surveying and rotate the scans. I'm versed in Leica Cyclone and Autodesk if you need help with that.

This is a gross over simplification of everything that goes into it, but that's what's going on.

Coupling 3D scanning with conventional really starts before the scans are done. If you don't have common targets, you'll have to identify specific things that you can shoot and pick out of the scans of you have them. I choose signs, corners of forms, and sometimes paint marks. That method is very low accuracy however, and I only do it when my crews have screwed up and we are only looking for dirt quantities.
      • GeoEducator

Yeah, I agree, marrying laser scanning with conventional equipment needs to be carefully planned, and common targets are a must. 

• Land Surveyor

Thanks William Kenter

the 3D scan done by other team are using continuously targets by scanning more areas use new targets, 

• Retired Surveyor

Hi Mohammad, Further to William's comment I think your first task is to decide whether you need to use a plane grid with no scale factor but this would depend on the size of the site. If more than say 100 acres or so curvature of the earth may then come into 'play'.... and force scale factors. If your scan is GPS based for the 'control' then it will be related initially to the 'Earth' and therefore a scale factor will be required to bring back to your plane grid. As total station control, completed correctly and with care should provide more accurate information then your scan data should be scaled and orientated to this control. If the scanning was done independently and no common control was fixed with your total station AND the scanner then the choice is to transform or re-scan....  cheers, hope this is a bit helpful, David

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives