Hi,

I am using Trimble R8 GPS but i dont know how we do static survey with Trimble R8 so can anybody guide me for this

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 11949

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

Normally with Trimble gear you mount the receiver on the tripod, turn it on and wait for the desired period for data to be stored in the head. Then head back into the office and download the data from the head and process. The devil (as always) is in the details especially with static work.

Collection of the static data is usually the easiest part. Planning (before) can be handled online easily enough but the processing after the static session can become highly detailed depending on your desired outcome and requires the inclusion of external sources (2nd base station or some form of online reference station [NGS' CORS data in the USA for example])

Basically you need to have one (or more) reference stations in the area that you can process against. I have used stations up to 200km distant but the solution starts to fall apart without large (long time) datasets. Having a known coordinate on the reference station(s) allows you to model out the errors of your unknown point.

I'll break down our normal workflows for static work:

Preplanning (prior to observation session):

1. What are your goals for static - The field time involved can be significant so have things figured out first. Are you wanting to establish a good horizontal or vertical BM or ??? This will drive the observation session.
  2. If you want good verticals be prepared to be there for a while. Our normal procedures are to run 4+ hour sessions for 0.10ft (3cm) verts and 2-4 hrs for 0.3ft (9cm) verts.
    How can you rely on a single point? We normally do 3 sessions ( which point is the flyer if you do 2 points and have a problem?) so can end up spending the day for 1 point. This time can be highly variable depending on your distance from a reference station. We use the longer times typically specified by the US National Geodetic Survey [NGS].
  3. Do some satellite planning - Check to make sure that the GPS constellation will support your static campaign. I frequently use The Timble GNSS planning web app to verify GPS availability. You can enter known obstructions (buildings, etc)  http://www.trimble.com/GNSSPlanningOnline/#/Settings
  4. Clean your head!!! - Normally you log to the head rather than your data collector so make sure you've cleaned out old files from the head storage prior to heading out into the field.

Field Day

1. Combined Static & RTK - We usually don't just set up to pound in a point and do nothing with it so we have a survey style of RTK + Logging in our data collectors so we get the field work done while the static collection is in process. The head logs the static data while we're out and about. Once we get back in the office and have a good static position we move the RTK base to the static point in Trimble Business Center and reprocess for good RTK. Only downside is if this is a multiday field job then you have to do that each day or manage the different RTK sessions appropriately.

Back in the Office:

1. Once we're back in the office, we have Trimble Data Transfer and ConvertToRinex utilities installed off of the www.trimble.com website to download files and convert them to RINEX format. Once the data is downloaded then you have to figure out how to process it to determine the final position. Since we're in the USA we utilize the NGS OPUS system frequently. If you don't have some sort of regional service to process against then we bring the reference station datasets into Trimble Business Center to process via static methods. Having multiple reference stations against your dataset allows for least squares / adjustment methods once the baselines are processed. The processing was a 3 day class for us so I won't go into too much detail here.

I know this is a rather high level answer but not knowing your level of confidence with the hardware and software I didn't want to head in too deep.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Tom

had you asked this inside the forum of the Trimble Group (and added subject tags), you would have certainly gotten more replies, as members of group forums are familiar with the types of equipment...  also, please explain more about what it is that you need a 'guide' for...happy to help, if you can clear this up for me on what you are trying to accomplish with a guide and post in relevant group..looks like Tom has some terrific information on this for you below..let us know if there is something else you need specifically..

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SKIP FARROW (1953-2015)

Help With Survey Equipment

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Video Categories

Surveying Photo Categories

United States Hub Forums

International Surveyor Hub Forums

Resources for Company Owners

Land Surveyor Social Media

Surveyor Resources Collections

Getting Started & Newsletter

© 2018   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service