Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor

I'm running a SOKKIA SRX with SurveCE on Carlson Surveyor+ data collector. We mainly do Urban/ Semi-Urban cadastral surveys. In one man operation tried to use Robot mode. I've setup a tripod and set the ATP1 360 prism for backsight & foresight. In TRACKING & SEARCH modes the gun locks to slightly off the visible centre towards right. For 100-150m it's about 10-12 seconds. Approximately for 150m - 7mm, for 100m - 5mm, for 50m- 2mm off respectively. If I set 0.0000 for backsight, after locking it becomes 0.0010 - 0.0012 approximately. I need to measure it more accurately as they are my traverse lines. Even in most cases we run open traverses for detail pickup. Tried with two different ATP1 prisms but ended up with the similar results. Then I tried without the data collector but with the gun on SEARCH mode got same results. Again tried with -30mm standard prism got similar results. Could anybody give me a hint about that? 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Vendor

The SRX has a field collimation process that can correct this issue. Setup prism about 300ft away and go to the configuration/collimation IMAGE-SENSOR is normally the last in the list. Sight prism center and press measure and it will do an electronic adjustment for the offset. This is a document for the SX/PS series and is very similar.  http://nebula.wsimg.com/18b0241bd61539dc3b4da3ab189427bf?AccessKeyI...

http://nebula.wsimg.com/18b0241bd61539dc3b4da3ab189427bf?AccessKeyId=E3BCFA33DB0DCFD90C15&dispositi…
    • Good explanation, it is not an error, it is the way the station works, moreover you can check the accuracy of your targets looking the residuals of your resections, and the results of your backsights

• Land Surveyor

Nimal,

what Ivan and Troy wrote above is absolutely correct.

Due the image processing, your SRX achieves better accuracy in angular measurements.

This is an AP1 image from SRX camera during a service inspection in my lab:

1201419184?profile=original?width=300

Sorry for image quality, but I took this picture with a poor camera ...

I suggest You, use a circular prism (like AP1, for instance), because the autopointing system can work better on a circular shape.

Obviously, your gun must be fine adjusted. With "Settings" menù, You can perform CCD calibration. It isn't too difficult but, if You are not enough skilled, it's better ask for Sokkia's service.

Greetings!

Carlo Alberto

• How did you determine there was a difference? They robot will only mechanically turn near the target and once the target is close it will only fine tune electronically. So the cross hair will not necessarily be lined up on the ATP1. Also when using the ATP1 prism for accurate measurements you must point one of the nubs on the top or bottom of the prism towards the robot.
  • Hi, I copied this comment from my Sokkia SRX manual, hope it helps

Search operation during Auto Pointing

When the target enters the field-of-view within the set time limit for Auto Pointing completion,

the SRX stops moving and the offset between the target and telescope reticle is added to the

angle measurement value obtained from the encoder and compensated using image processing

calculation. Although this compensation reduces measurement time and increases search

accuracy, there is a possibility that the target and telescope reticle appear to be misaligned.

Compensated values are displayed in blue.

If the SRX is rotated (manually or u~ing the jog dials) more than 1 0", compensation will be

canceled, the angle reverts to that obtained from the encoder, and the angle values are once

again displayed in black. Compensation is automatically performed when performing Auto

Tracking. Terminating Auto Tracking or powering OFF the SRX will cancel the compensation

function .

• It’s a radio link collimation. I would do a zero point collimation on the zenith as well.
  • Land Surveyor
    There is a difference between the electric eye and manual sighting. And there is a calibration for it. The robot should know when you are manual sighting and electrical sighting. The manual should help you find it... Typically you will get better results if you gonna use tracking or electric sighting to trying to use only that in a job, instead of switching back and forth
  • Land Surveyor

Have you calibrated your station recently?

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives