Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Good afternoon from England.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a (ideally free) software utility for calculating a stockpile volume from a csv (or dxf) file?

I've got several piles of excavated materials and the client needs to know the volume of the materials removed.

Any help or advice (or a link to a download) would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks folks.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor
    If u have in survey and out survey data then u can calculate vol. by civil 3d . Or u can get result approximately by average formula or by area and cut depth.
  • no formula for volume compuattion on that file
    • Hi All

Full Disclosure : I am the Founder\Director of Kubla Ltd.

We offer a free software product for this called Kubla Cubed Lite.  You can download it from our website www.kublasoftware.com.

We charge for the pro edition that has a lot more tools.

The free version is for calculating building pads using the "platform element" however you can use a little trick to calculate stockpiles in this way.  

1) Load the stockpile as "existing" either the .csv or excel.

2) Create an outline around your surface.

3) Draw a building pad at the base line of your pile.

4) Set the building pad elevation to the base elevation of your pile.

.... The cut volume will be the volume of the pile.   Basically you are saying what is the cut if I level this area off for a building a pad.

The volume changes depending on where you put the base and what you consider to be the extents of the pile.  I calculate 500.60 cubic metres.  However this would change depending on how much of the pile you level off.  I made an assessment that the edge of the pile was offset somewhat from the points and the base level was 70.90.

1201399268?profile=original?width=640

1201399286?profile=original?width=600

• Land Surveyor

you can used autocad civil 3d to students in there its possible import point in the file what do you want . 

• Hi Rubens, I've had a play with Civil 3D in the past trying to do volumn calculations and found it to be difficult to get into.  IMHO it's about time Autodesk rebuilt Civil 3D and made it much simpler and intuative to use...

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Land Surveyor
    Send me the dxf or csv and I'll run it through our N4ce software so you can check the results buddy.
    • Hi Paul, here's the survey DXF and csv files.  On the dxf, the base is in green and the top is in red.

Be interesting to know what the volume is via N4CE - thanks.

• Land Surveyor

here you go. I had to string them together and took one from the other after modelling.

have a look at the base and top models to see. Volume table also attached.

• Land Surveyor
      Oddly it won't let me comment on chrome desktop.... What I was trying to say was.... Great.. I'll wait for the data
    • Hi Paul - I'll take you up on your offer once I've got a few tools installed - be interesting to compare results between different software :-)

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives