I recently got my land surveyor license and my yearly salary increase.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out that it was only a 5% increase, because I was hoping for a bit more.  Is this typical or am I just expecting too much?

For those of you that have your license what kind of increase did you see when you got licensed? 

Find Similar Content by Clicking These Tags ☟
Subject Tags: increase, license, salary, surveying

This Content Originally Published to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 569

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

Wow..anybody got some advice for Mr. H?

I did not get a raise at all. I was working as a technician at the time and they did not give me a different position either.

Using your license is how you make income from it. My advice is to find a way to start using it. One of the ways you can do this is try and obtain a license in an adjoining State or a State you may move to.

Yeah, my current position doesn't require much from my license, so that is probably why.

I'm currently working on getting my license for the adjoining state and I'm hoping that will help.

I've worked hard to get to this point and my expectations are probably just too high.

Brad, your expectations can never be too high, however, here are a few things you should expect:

1. You will always be underpaid by your employer.
  2. If you open your own business you will be underpaid sometimes, and overpaid other times.  It depends upon the workload and the economy.
  3. If you keep your drive for continued success alive, you will always be happy.

I think I missed a few things, but the point is that you didn't get your license for your employer.  You got it for yourself.  What you do with it is up to you.  As much as some employers want you to think that they are your friend, you are an employee first and foremost.  Try not to confuse the two. 

When you interviewed for your current position, It may have been a one way conversation.  The rules have just changed.  You have something that many other companies want, now; a licensed professional.  But be careful not to take your new credential into places it does not fit yet, due to lack of experience, yet be confident in your ability to grow, professionally.

I learned more about surveying after I was licensed than I did in college or from my mentors.  It takes time.  A well-rounded professional does not evolve overnight.  A new credential is only the beginning of a rewarding career.

If you have a lot of money or access to funding you could go bravely into the world of business for yourself, now.

If not, you can go bravely into the job market to test your new credential, but I wouldn't recommend that quite yet.  Your current employer may have plans for you five years down the line that they truly want for you, but can not promise yet.

Quite the crossroads, isn't it? 

No matter which path you take from here, remember that if you are happy with the way things are now, you have nowhere to go, but you will always be following in the footsteps of those before you.

I travel this road that I am on every day.  I am licensed and have been surveying for over 20 years now, and not a day goes by during which I don't learn something new.

Welcome to the club, you're in now.  And welcome to a lifetime of opportunity!

Scott D. Warner, RLS

Senior Director / Editor

Land Surveyors United 

Brad,

Was just going back over past discussions, and saw your question about salary re: license.

It is a tough situation, but I can tell you some advice my father gave me many years ago that I think might have some bearing on your situation.

The advise was this:

Remember, usually an  employer pays only what they think they have to to keep you working for them.

So, : 1) Make yourself more valuable to your employer in both education, experience,             attitude, hard work, etc.

2) Do not complain about your situation to any of your fellow employees.

3) Check around in the same field and try to determine what others with the                    same curriculum vitae as you have are earning. This may even include                        answering advertisement for.jobs that have requirements you can fill.

4)  Assess the situation within your employers place of business; if there no                   additional need within the company for a licensed surveyor, look for another               job.

5)  Put your arguments in writing, along with how much you would like to make               (these are for your use only ..putting it in writing seems to give it a clearer                    perspective).

6)  Decide whether you want to make your arguments to your present employer               or a prospective employer.

I tried to do those things my Dad suggested and it worked well for me.

One thing I would suggest.  Unless you feel you are properly compensated for it and your employer puts your name on his errors and omissions insurance, DO NOT STAMP any plans for the company nor represent yourself as a licensed land surveyor who takes responsibility for the companies work.  Also, under those circumstances, you should not display your certificate in the office.

I worked for two companies that were very willing to have my name on their errors and omissions insurance and treated me very well.  I also was sought out by an hired gun and as soon as I told them what my salary and insurance requirements were they ended the conversation, which was fine with me.

The hard work it took to get your license will continue...and it is not always easy or pleasant but it is worth continuing the "fight".

Good luck with your future.

David C. Garcelon

RSS

Land Surveyors Celebrate the Past Present and Future of Professional Land Surveying in this Geosocial Network. Frictionless GeoCollaboration

Surveyor Hubs and Tags

Surveyor Community Hubs For World Regions

Surveying Hubs For US States

Social Support For Equipment

Surveying Photos by Tag

Surveying Videos by Tag

What You Missed

Profile IconTasha Gold and Chad Erickson joined Land Surveyors United
5 hours ago
Lalith Senanayake's photo was featured

Sokkia,theodolite still in operation for settigout

During a setting out,for partition case,This is handy for setting out!
11 hours ago
Scott D. Warner, PLS shared Deward Karl Bowles's blog post on Google +1
yesterday
Jansen Loi replied to David Chandler's discussion GPS rover in doorway problems.....
"I assume you are using RTK mode in for your survey. Are you able to achieve lock or did you lose…"
yesterday
ePalmetto promoted Deward Karl Bowles's blog post CHAIN! The weakest link (in the chain)
yesterday
Scott D. Warner, PLS promoted Deward Karl Bowles's blog post CHAIN! The weakest link (in the chain)
yesterday
Scott D. Warner, PLS commented on Deward Karl Bowles's blog post CHAIN! The weakest link (in the chain)
"Karl, Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I read your post twice and visited all the articles you…"
yesterday
ePalmetto promoted LSU Justin's blog post Surveying Will NEVER Die and YOU are the Proof!
yesterday
ePalmetto promoted mohammed shakeel's photo
yesterday
mohammed shakeel's photo was featured

this our senior ibrahim daher

this project name is w t c qatar
yesterday
Profile IconSURVEYORS "OLD"TAC BALL 1989 is the most popular photo to date

SURVEYORS "OLD"TAC BALL 1989

Surveyors Tac Ball, vintage "1989"
yesterday
David Chandler posted a discussion

GPS rover in doorway problems.....

Our company just recently within the last year got a GPS unit for surveying....So far we have not…See More
yesterday
Profile IconWi Pattison, David Chandler, Alfonso Pizarro Monge and 2 more joined Land Surveyors United
yesterday
Wi Pattison promoted Deward Karl Bowles's blog post CHAIN! The weakest link (in the chain)
yesterday
ePalmetto shared their video on Tweet This
yesterday
LSU Justin's 3 groups were featured
yesterday
ePalmetto promoted MIRAUTE MARIAN's photo
yesterday
MIRAUTE MARIAN's photo was featured

Swineshaw Glossop Lower Reservoir

Swineshaw Glossop Lower Reservoir Survey Monument
yesterday
ePalmetto shared their video on Tweet This
yesterday
LSU Justin's album was featured

Topcon Equipment in History

Are you wondering what year your Topcon surveying equipment came out or where it falls in history? In this album you can track down the dates and history of total stations,levels,EDM,imaging,GNSS,GPS,lasers and more on Land Surveyors United. these…
yesterday

Take This Page With You

follow us in feedly

Take this Page With You

QR Code for This Page: What is this?

Surveyor Goodies

© 2014   © Created by Land Surveyors United

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts for Land Surveyors UnitedRelated Posts Plugin for Land Surveyors United Network ForumRelated Surveying Photos Land Surveyors United Live Support