Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Salary Increase with Land Surveyor License

I recently got my land surveyor license and my yearly salary increase.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out that it was only a 5% increase, because I was hoping for a bit more.  Is this typical or am I just expecting too much?

For those of you that have your license what kind of increase did you see when you got licensed? 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor
    I did not get a raise at all. I was working as a technician at the time and they did not give me a different position either.

Using your license is how you make income from it. My advice is to find a way to start using it. One of the ways you can do this is try and obtain a license in an adjoining State or a State you may move to.
    • Yeah, my current position doesn't require much from my license, so that is probably why.

I'm currently working on getting my license for the adjoining state and I'm hoping that will help.

I've worked hard to get to this point and my expectations are probably just too high.

• Land Surveyor

Brad, your expectations can never be too high, however, here are a few things you should expect:

1. You will always be underpaid by your employer.
        2. If you open your own business you will be underpaid sometimes, and overpaid other times.  It depends upon the workload and the economy.
        3. If you keep your drive for continued success alive, you will always be happy.

I think I missed a few things, but the point is that you didn't get your license for your employer.  You got it for yourself.  What you do with it is up to you.  As much as some employers want you to think that they are your friend, you are an employee first and foremost.  Try not to confuse the two. 

When you interviewed for your current position, It may have been a one way conversation.  The rules have just changed.  You have something that many other companies want, now; a licensed professional.  But be careful not to take your new credential into places it does not fit yet, due to lack of experience, yet be confident in your ability to grow, professionally.

I learned more about surveying after I was licensed than I did in college or from my mentors.  It takes time.  A well-rounded professional does not evolve overnight.  A new credential is only the beginning of a rewarding career.

If you have a lot of money or access to funding you could go bravely into the world of business for yourself, now.

If not, you can go bravely into the job market to test your new credential, but I wouldn't recommend that quite yet.  Your current employer may have plans for you five years down the line that they truly want for you, but can not promise yet.

Quite the crossroads, isn't it? 

No matter which path you take from here, remember that if you are happy with the way things are now, you have nowhere to go, but you will always be following in the footsteps of those before you.

I travel this road that I am on every day.  I am licensed and have been surveying for over 20 years now, and not a day goes by during which I don't learn something new.

Welcome to the club, you're in now.  And welcome to a lifetime of opportunity!

Scott D. Warner, RLS

Senior Director / Editor

Land Surveyors United 

• GEO Ambassador

Wow..anybody got some advice for Mr. H?

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives