So......I've been working in this business for a few decades.  I've been a member of a 4 man crew, 3 man crew, most typically a 2 man crew, and now, for the last 10 years, a one man crew.

Robots and GPS have been around for enough time that they are both considered "conventional".

My question.........Is a one man crew truly efficient?

This Content Originally Published by a land surveyor to Land Surveyors United Network

Views: 1463

See Your Saved Posts Timeline

☇ Reply to this

Replies to This Discussion

I say would 'no' to a one man crew unless its a construction project with 3 or less setups a day.  I haven't run the robots but the few conversations i've had with folks made it sound like it would wear you out on boundaries with multiple setups. This is coming from folks that enjoy working alone. I would prefer a 3 man crew but its been years since i've had that on a consistent basis. One main brain, one training brain, and some brawn that understands how to follow instructions is the most efficient... I had the opportunity to work with two other guys that had decades of experience beyond me earlier this year... It wasn't very efficient because we all had our nuances but kept deflecting to each other. All i could say to them was that were too many brains on this job. 

They can be efficient for open jobs, we typically use a one man crew for elevation certificates, stake out, and setting corners. It allows for people to remain at the office, especially being short staffed. However we typically run a two man crew with a robot, and while one guy sketches and tapes the house, the other is shooting the detail, but has someone to help in a hard situation, or to move legs forward, and swap glass out. It cuts our field work time dramatically.  

Of course not.

If you are in the bush working, who´s gone help you, if you have an accident.

Our job some times,well,  i think all most of time is pretty risky.

Who help´s you with the stake out. Or to aim for example.

THis is a team work. Not the same as poker player.

Depending on the job...and number if setups...and target distances...I use either a standard TS or my robot. Stakeouts can me done with either a pole or laser tribrac on a tripod. It can be done either way. It's just that in recent years I've found that it makes more sense from efficiency, safety and accuracy standpoints that a 2 man crew works the best.

GPS stakeouts as a single man is a pain...you have to keep putting down and picking up the rod...same with the robot. But if there were a "stake banger" running behind the rodman...it would end up going faster.

You see.

there are things you can never change.

Two men´s team is the perfect. But with a three players team it´s faster and efficient.

Time is money, and the foreman is allways watching to us.

You should get rid of the foreman or give him some work. this ain't a spectator sport.

yeah, yeah. hahahahahah.

that´s  funny. Very easy to say. hahahahahahahahahahahah.

To clarify I only use the bipod for construction where I have to carry a stake bag, or sometimes when I'm looking for pins and I'm carrying a shovel and metal locator in the other hand. Its also nice to have the bipod for shooting pins accurately.

I go back and forth on this all the time. I frequently get sent out by myself, and it can be wearisome. On the other hand, with a robot there is usually no activity that requires 2 people to be doing something at the same time. Even if we split the work I would be standing around while my minion smashes in hubs, plumbs the rod on a backsight, etc..
However, I have found the 2 man crew essential on very large construction sites. I've been working on a bridge for the last few years on which control points are set on either side of the river. I send them over while I setup and then get straight to work while they drive back. Even worse, when connecting the piers over the water, it was necessary to use the center of each pier for orientation, rather than our control. I dreaded the mornings when I had no help. I would climb 100 stairs to setup on one pier, climb back down, drive across the river, take a boat out to the second pier, climb 100 stairs, get my backsight, climb back down, boat back to shore, drive back to the first pier, climb those 100 stairs, shoot ONE point on line, and then do the whole procedure again for the second pier. Those were long days indeed.
I suppose the answer here is like most in surveying. It all comes down to the particulars of the job and the needs of the client.

Maybe you don't need that Minion.

Hi Everyone,and Rob

It has its place,if what you are doing does not over task one person. It also depends where you are and if anyone else is near by. You can not always depend on a cell phone. Some people enjoy being by 

themselves,but like i said it depends on what you are doing. This Reminds me of IMAN's discussion.

I said enough in it on my views,just be careful it's a safety thing more or less.

Read IMAN's also if you like, this will add to yours Rob.

http://landsurveyorsunited.com/forum/topics/how-many-people-work-in...

RSS

Where Thousands of Professional Land Surveyors, Students of Surveying and Educators are United through Collaborative Knowledge and Purpose.

Tools,Apps and Quick Guides

DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF SKIP FARROW (1953-2015)

Social Support For Equipment

© 2018   © Created by Land Surveyors United   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact LSU  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service