Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Hi Guys,

I just want to share some concerns with you, about practices on the field.

In the site where I am currently working the Ground Control points were "ADJUSTED" (MOVED is the right word), according with the explanation of the person in charge of the surveying crew. In my opinion and based in my experience, this is not a good practice, instead of, PLACING NEW ONES close to the points that you find are moved can be a better alternative.

Another possible question is: Why do you adjust a Ground Control Point?. Because it is off 5mm.. or 8mm....or more than 15mm...

I do my work using a Sokkia Robotic. The bigger distance is not more than 120 mts.

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Adjustment by disturbance? It is absolutely a NO WAY scenario.

• Adjustment the control points on a closed traverse is common. Never ever move a control point on the ground... ever..Disturbed monuments become reference points, only after you have proved that the monument in question is truly disturbed.

• Hi guys,

Ā 

Thanks for your replies in this topic. As Scott said, Iā€™ll try to be clearer.

Ā 

I started the layout of this project by adding the Ground Control Points given to us by the surveyors, to my coordinate system. After setting my gun on the best GCP I chose (enough room for the instrument, good view of the job siteā€¦. etc.), I started doing BS to all GCP to finally choose the best one (Angle delta less than 3ā€™ā€™, Distance delta less than 5mm). I had performed my work in this way during 4 MONTHS, (foundation, P5, P4, P2, P1). At this time the Surveying crew come to the job site in order to CHECK the work.Ā  The points I was using had not been disturbed, at least apparently, maybe any logic settlement because they are placed close to the cliff. Anyway to be short, after the GCP were ā€œADJUSTEDā€ by the Surveying crew and my work checked, they found small differences (not more than 10 mm) between my construction lines and the new ones.

Ā 

As you can see it was not a big deal (lucky man), however, I feel that things were not done in the right way. Ā The work has to be CHECKED using the GCP I had used, and then ADJUSTED if proved they were out of placement. The Surveying crew ā€œADJUSTEDā€ the GCP then CHECKED the work.

Ā Bad practice in my opinion, because a GCP is sacred.

Ā 

Finally, another concern comes up about the accuracy of a BS taken between 2 randomly chosen GCPā€™s, I think an Angle delta less than 3ā€, Distance delta less than 5 mm is good enough. More than those is signal of negligent, Especially if we taking into account this is a ā€œsmall jobā€ because the biggest distance to measure is not more than 150 m. and on top of this we are using extremely accurate Electronic Distance Measurement devices.

Ā 

Thanks again for your feedback.

Ā 

IvanĀ Ā 

• Land Surveyor

So far, I go along with Jim on this one.Ā  Never remove or disturb an existing survey monument.Ā 

I don't know what the laws say about this within Ivan's jurisdiction, but removing or disturbing an existing survey monument has been taboo since ancient Egypt.Ā 

Along with Jim, it seems, I am of the opinion that if perhaps, during the course of a survey, and before finishing said survey or producing a map of said survey, the surveyor finds himself in error, he should be obligated to remove and restore said monuments to their correct positions.

If an error was made during the course of a survey, and its discovery were to be years later, the legal recourse should be different, depending on local regulations.

So far as I can see, within the original context of this argument, there are no ethical boundaries to discuss.Ā 

Ivan,Ā  would you like to share more about the particular example?Ā  Perhaps we should be discussing this in more detail.

-Scott

• I personally would say NO WAY unless you are just starting and nothing has been done based on the position of the points if it has then this could be a nightmare..,
This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives