Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Government Professional

Is anybody there tried the gatewing x100 in your project? Ā 

any update/comments with regards to its advantages & disadvantages?

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Accuas was the first commercial uav surveying company in the world, we use a number of uav platforms but integrate proprietary electronics, imu/gps and software designed to optimize aerial surveying. One of our systems can cover a 8km2 mapping area and stay within CAA regulations. With GW and other mini uav systems, we'd be looking at around 2km2 on a good day. Stable platforms, larger payloads and capable of operating in higher winds are a must. We have completed over 500 commercial flights so far, ASPRS Class 1, 1;1000 standards. Our jobs range from 10ha to 40km2.

We're looking for good geomatics people to get involved, particularly in Latin America. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] .

• Arnel,

Ā 

United Technologies sells a system for about $50k.Ā Derrick

Arnel M. Domag said:

I am just curious of the total amount if one wishes to consider this technology.

• I am just curious of the total amount if one wishes to consider this technology.

• GEO Ambassador

yes indeed...this does look very interesting

Arnel M. Domag said:

This is very interesting.

• Government Professional

Hello Rodney,

Thank you for your additional information and comments. . it will help us a lot in our project.Ā 

• This is very interesting.

• Due to restriction by our CAA we have been operating below 400ft AGL. To cover a site as large as you want you would need to be able to fly much higher to get the coverage. Obviously this increases the GSD of the images. To keep the high resolution imagery you would need to fly relatively low which means many more flights to cover such a large area. It would depend upon what you need to show up in images or what accuracy DTM is needed to sort out how high you could fly and still achieve the quality. This would then tell you how many flights would be needed to cover the entire area. For what I need any area over about 5kmĀ² would be better done using traditional aerial photography. I have not done any work for airports so can not help with that.Ā If you have any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

• Government Professional

Thank you Rodney for the detailed information. Actually we planning to use this x100 for our electronic Terrain Obstacle Data (eTOD) project. its for airport obstructions. and it goes up to 30km. radius from the airport.

Do you have any project related to airports that may be this x100 is the right instrument to be used?

Hope that you can give us more info on this, before we could finally get the x100.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Francisco

Ā 

Rodney Pilbrow said:

Hi

I have been using the Gatewing X100 for overĀ a year. Mainly for stockpile and overburden removal surveys in quarries but also site plans and topographical surveys for landfills.

For large open areas it is great. It reduces the time spent on site to a minimum which is good from a Health & Safety point. There is an increase in time in the office as the photogrammetric processing takes longer than just downloading a GPS survey. A lot of the processing does not require human intervention so can be left to the computer while I do other things. The orthophotos it produces are very high resolution (3.3cm GSD). Many of my clients appreciate the greater detail that this produces in their site plans. When using the X100 there are a few things which you need to be careful of such as ensuring clearances, placing sufficient ground control markers, and getting the camera settings correct as well as having a sufficiently high powered computer to deal with the resulting data sets. Due to the time it takes to get ready for a flight and the large turning circle it is not suitable for all sites. I find that if the area to be topo'd is less than 20HA it is quicker to do it using GPS unless there is a lot of detailed topography. A single flight will cover about 100Ha in 40 minutes. I now treat it as just another piece of surveying equipment to be used when appropriate.

• Hi

I have been using the Gatewing X100 for overĀ a year. Mainly for stockpile and overburden removal surveys in quarries but also site plans and topographical surveys for landfills.

For large open areas it is great. It reduces the time spent on site to a minimum which is good from a Health & Safety point. There is an increase in time in the office as the photogrammetric processing takes longer than just downloading a GPS survey. A lot of the processing does not require human intervention so can be left to the computer while I do other things. The orthophotos it produces are very high resolution (3.3cm GSD). Many of my clients appreciate the greater detail that this produces in their site plans. When using the X100 there are a few things which you need to be careful of such as ensuring clearances, placing sufficient ground control markers, and getting the camera settings correct as well as having a sufficiently high powered computer to deal with the resulting data sets. Due to the time it takes to get ready for a flight and the large turning circle it is not suitable for all sites. I find that if the area to be topo'd is less than 20HA it is quicker to do it using GPS unless there is a lot of detailed topography. A single flight will cover about 100Ha in 40 minutes. I now treat it as just another piece of surveying equipment to be used when appropriate.

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives