Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Land Surveyor

i have 2 control points created by GPS on my new project, and my Total station without Scale factor (Leica 407)

So, the Orientation get 16 cm difference 

What should i Do?

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hello  Amhed, i am DONE!!

• Land Surveyor

Thanks for all your answers

David:-  you helped me much. many many thanks

Billy :- i meant  that i can not change the scale factor in my old TS that Leica stop making it 10 years ago.

also its mean that the scale factor is on ((1)) always and changing it affect the ppm accordingly Zenith.

any way local coordination will be enough for me.

also i will try to make 4 BM and close traverse to correct the errors.

Best Wishes

• Dear Ahmed:

In your TS Leica 407, go to EDM Settings, then choose Scale, and then place the factor scale that you got from GPS. It should be a valor between 0.9992 to 1.0006.

Your TS model have it... (I´m in this bussines since I was 6 years old, so 36 years, and the 25 years old TS have it... all of them!!!) The big issue is where is it and how it is called.

If you can't find it, it is not a big drama. Take all the data you can,  and once that you finish, export to a CAD file, try to find a point in the middle of the area you are working in, and apply a factor scale that comes from the average of your 4 bechmarks. And then... UTM has been applied!!!

As it is a conform projection, the angles are the same, the only change is the distance, and on this way you are aplying it.

If you need to stake out anything on this area, keep a small table with you like this... (Applying your factor scale, I will consider 0.9996).

Horizontal Distance                     Real Distance

1 meter                                      1 meter

5 meter                                      5.002 meter

10 meter                                    10.004 meter

20 meter                                    20.008 meter

50 meter                                    50.020 meter

100 meter                                 100.040 meter

200 meter                                 200.080 meter

So every time that you are reading in your TS something that is 200 meter away of you, you should keep in mind that by UTM proyection it is not 200 meter away from you, it is 200.080 meter away from you!

If it is better to work at reverse then, instead to divide by 0.9996 (or your Factor Scale), then multiply by 0.9996.

Is it useful for you?

NOTE: If your area is bigger than a couple of km or you are near a UTM huso change, then you should split your area in 1-1.5 km packages, and apply a factor scale to everyone.

• Land Surveyor

yes it's really useful 

• Land Surveyor

hello sir I have two gps wgs84 coordinate with scale factor of0.9996 how can I convert it to local coordinates with scale factor of 1

• Mr. David García Bodego I wanted to ask if I have control points taken by GPS in WGS "geographical coordinate system" and then converted to local "projected" coordinate system using GIS software do I need to made any adjustment to the readings I take from Totalstation

• Thank you, Ahmed if you need any help let me know i will do what i can. That was my ? you can localize your GPS coordinates that is what i wanted to know. i have done this many times. Read my discussion on the little big calculator that calculated  i think i can, if you like to learn how to use them i can even help you download them on your computer and some with down loadable software, the Hp 50g with SGS Cogo+ LT its all free. This has a lot survey programs traverse, inverse ,adjustments, intersection, triangles curves. you can create jobs its like a real data collector. I will give this site link , go there and look at all this. you can buy the two upgrades . these calculators work in many language. or try the free on your computer.

billy

http://sgss.ca/

• Dear Ahmed:

GPS is working with UTM coordinates on WGS 84 ellipsoid, so the coordinates you are getting from a GPS has a factor scale in UTM P.S. When you are using a T.S. without factor scale, you have a "pure distance" that can not be compared with UTM coordinates unless you applied the factor scale.

So, first of all, you should place 4 references (with 2 references you can not check, with 3 references you can check the distance and orientacion from one reference, but not the closing error, with 4 references you can check all of them) and observe it with GPS. You will get the coordinates as well as the factor scale for this point (If you can´t get it, there are a lot of excel datasheets that can calculate it... google it).

Then, for any observation between this references, you should consider an average of the factor scale. If you don´t want to keep all this data, and the distances between your references is not soo big, then you can make an average of the 4 factor scale and introduce this average in your total station.

In order to have an idea of the deviation you will get, consider the biggest and smaller value of the factor scale, take the difference to the average and multiply by the distance to that point... you will get the expected approx. value of the "error" you will get.

If you need some help, you can contact me at my email.

Regards

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives