Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

🌐 Show Forums for All Locations
Land Surveyor Community

Environmental issues of OKN-32

Project : High precision 3D Monitoring of OKN32 crater by using Lidar data acquisition.
The 3D displacement measurements are an indispensable observation method for the supervision and monitoring of the evolution of the crater in time. Position of the OKN32 crater is : 31.773196N,5.060452E

OKN-32 is a real environment issue, it's continously grow up, more larger and more deeper.

Actually, I am looking for the équipement which can achieve this project. Our target is to generate an 3D model of the hole (crater) once a year. Thanks for any suggestion. 

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Land Surveyor

Riegl has a drone solution equipped with ultra lightweight LIDAR (RiCopter and VUX-Sys).

RiCopter can fly for 20-30 minutes with 20-30 km/h speed, which means about 10 km, it must be enough.

The only problem is the price. The whole system is more than 300k USD.

If there is no strong wind is blowing, I would use a medium class drone (e.g. DJI Phantom III for 2k USD, or Phantom 4 for 5k USD) as the cheapest solution, depends on the accuracy expectations. Phantom 4 has better camera, better resolution.

After doing overlapping vertical axis photos about the crater, you can process the photos with a simple photogrammetric sw., such as Agisoft Photoscan Pro (about 3k USD). Agisoft can automatically process orthophotos, surface model, etc., which you can export to AutoCAD, or even pointcloud format such as LAS.

If you need real measurements on the model (not only for visualization), you must deploy and measure some control points surrounding the crater (4 GCPs - Ground Control Points - are enough, the more you deploy the higher accuracy you can achieve). Easier way is to place a sheet of paper onto the surface (fix them to ground with spikes) and measure the center of the paper with RTK GPS before the flight. You don't need to go too close to the crater, GCPs can be on the outer area which will be covered by the aerial photos. The necessary flight altitude and the overlap is depends on the accuracy you need.

• Seeking Employment

Try the Leica Geomos software for deformation measurements along with several MS 60 total stations.

• The dimension of the hole is around of 150 m of radius and 120 m of deep until the water surface. The big issue is that we can't approach the hole because it's too unstable. All land-survey operation will be at a safety corridor of 150 m away from the limit of the hole.

• Land Surveyor

Dear

I agree with Mr. Cavell, any LiDAR system that can give you 4 point by sqr meter or more, will be great.

If they a have a digital camera, you will get great orthos.

Penetration in the cone will be ok, depends in it's deep.

The clue is in the fly lines programing, may be the differences of height will cause some mess.

• Thanks a lot for your replay.

Effectively our problem is the lines programing. The dimension of the hole is around of 150 m of radius and 120 m of deep until the water surface. The big issue is that we can't approach the hole because it's too unstable. All land-survey operation will be at a safety corridor of 150 m away from the limit of the hole. Do you think that drone or helicopter with LIDAR equipment can solve the issue? If it's possible, can you recommend me names of companies which offer these kind of services.

B.Yahiaoui

• Land Surveyor

For sure

Sorry I can't recommend no body I'm so far from there, -32°, -71°

Helicopters may be best choice.

Drone I will not recommend, to week for wind, short batt duration, too much height difference.

The Lidar system need a GPS control station, about 25 km, your people at fiel will be safe. 

Laser pulse will not be reflected on the water...

• Land Surveyor

Aerial photogrammetry or LiDAR seem first options.

JAC

• Thanks a lot for your replay.

LiDAR seem first options for me, but our problem is the lines programing. The dimension of the hole is around of 150 m of radius and 120 m of deep until the water surface and all land-survey operation will be at a safety corridor of 150 m away from the limit of the hole, we can't approach the hole because it's too unstable. Do you think that drone or helicopter with LIDAR equipment can solve the issue? If it's possible, can you recommend me names of companies which offer these kind of services.

B.Yahiaoui

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

🌐 Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives