Show us why the public should always call a land surveyor

Where are you surveying?

Started a couple days ago. When I choose "Insert" tab, a message comes up on the bottom of screen "computing contours" then it crashes with a fatal error. Autodesk has been zero help thus far. Anyone else have this happen and find a fix? Thanks, Dave

You need to be a member of Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community to add thoughts!

Join Land Surveyors United - Global Surveying Community

ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
ā˜…
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• my 2 cents, hopefully you already solved this.Ā  obviously there is no reason to compute contours when changing ribbons so something is hung up.Ā  The best thing to do is probably start a new drawing and copy over anything you have done.Ā  purge and audit several times.Ā  also make sure to purge the RegApps "-purge; r; *; N".Ā  XML out your surface, alignment, etc.Ā  Use seperate XML for each object as one of them may be the offending piece (3 surfaces = 3 XML files).Ā  Open a new drawing and copy over all your lines and text and insert the XMLs.Ā  Be sure to not copy over any "objects" like surfaces or points.Ā  I'd also recommend re-labeling in the new drawing as opposed to copying the annotation labels.

• Thanks all. UPDATE. They finally sent a patch this morning and has fixed the problem. Oh yes I am a "subscriber" to them, but still, if you have a problem with Carlson, which is rare, you call-speak to a person-and get a fix. Isn't that how it used to be, for us surveyors who have many decades on our plumb bob pouch? Thanks again, Dave

Ā 

• Civil 3d is a complete engineering software ,auto cad,land desktop..upgraded..try to search on help menu user guide or enrol to get full knowledge of this software.

• Softdesk or whoever owns them now was always a marketing first program. Ā Once they sold it to you they disappeared. Ā Even LDD had some alarming errors in it, especially concerning surface volumes. Ā Always check your volume results using a second method like creating cross sections and measuring the areas with polylines and multiplying by the distance using average end area or whatever . Ā That at least checks for program blunders or surface faults that are hard to see. Ā LDD always erred on the high side, so no one but the contractor knew that the real quantities were a lot lower.

Civil3D uses an object oriented engine. Ā Try doing a road cross section with a different sub-grade cross fall then your top course (Ontario - Canada standard) and check your results on a curve. Ā Haven't used it 2006, but I bet the program still puts out garbage, because the objects would have to be able to pass information through several objects to get the correct section. Ā Very hard to program.

The salesman puts on a pretty show for your boss, who never uses the program, then after he seals the deal you can't find him...if you do, the answer is always that it will get fixed with the next update....that you pay even more money for.

• Thanks, all great stuff and tried mostly all of it, I will try the manual-thanks, but no luck. You're right on Eddie. I have Carlson (love it), customer surface great, no real problems, ever.Ā I am away helping a friend and he has Civil 3D (hate it). I work in different States/Countries, and Civil 3D is my very least favorite program, had no problems with LDD.Ā trying to help him out. Godspeed, Dave

• The only similar problem I had, I had to "regedit" and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Ā  Ā then Autodesk then mine was R15.0 then ACAD-1:409 then Recent File List Ā I erased all the files I could and in File History if I used a thumbdrive or some other unreachable reference it tripped up autocad.

• Land Surveyor
    Try running an Audit. This will check the DWG for any errors and fix them. If that doesn't work close the DWG then click the C3d tab at the top left corner and click recover.
  • Civil 3D's fatal error was being created, they should have continued LandDesktop. Even though my firm has current AutoDesk subscriptions, I use Carlson "For Surveyors by Surveyors" they get it, and they also care, the Customer Service is 2nd to None.

Eddie Martinez, PLS
  • GEO Ambassador

Have you tried the troubleshooting pageĀ hereĀ  orĀ here

This looks like a similar problemĀ here

Here is a manual which may help Ā ...let us know

This reply was deleted.

Answer As your Facebook Page

Global Surveyor Forum

Latest Discussions by Category

How to Utilize Surveyor Forums

How to use Forums
Our forums on Land Surveyors United are here to be used as much for finding help with problems in the field as the are for you to express your opinions on anything that has to do with land surveying in general. Feel free to share anything that is on your mind, as long as it isn't meant to damage another member's reputation. Please keep it clean and help insure that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of a community that grows together.

We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for all of our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on lad surveying practices and processes. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

All Community Hubs inside the community have their own forum for asking specific questions to other surveyors, by location, equipment type, etc.

Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives

Global Forums

Add Your Expertise

šŸŒ Explore Forums Based on Location

Blog Topics by Tags

Monthly Archives